Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Corn harvest

Corn harvest

The two things I miss the most about farming is spring planting and fall harvest, corn harvest being at the top of my list.

Gary (the guy that farms my little chunk of paradise) showed up today to combine the corn and he let me ride in the cab with him, Wow things have sure changed from the way we used to do it. In his cab is a GPS, monitor, all the goodies. At the time I rode with him the monitor was reading yields in the 160-180 bushels per acre range with some parts of the field going 225 B.P.A. and 17 - 17.8 % moisture.

I snapped some pictures of him while running the corn, and his equiptment....John Deere, my favorite brand.

As some of you remember we put in a corn furnace to heat our home...looks like I'm gonna be warm. There will be enough to heat my home and enough to sell to help pay the taxes.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Steve Clardy Guest
    Reminds me of my teenage years. I went on wheat harvest two years in a row, with farmer neighbors in Oklahoma, that ran 6 Gleaner combines during the summer.
    Those were the days.

My last farm memories are from almost 40 years ago. I spent a couple of weeks each summer at a relatives farm around Merrill, MI. They were mostly growing soy beans which aren't very glamorous. I always seemed to get stuck on the mucking-out-the-stall duty with my cousin. I couldn't prove it but suspected they saved that particular honor for visiting relatives. But I did get to harvest some corn not too long ago - fresh out of Aisle 2 in the produce section. I think my yield was something like 12 ears per bag.
    --------------------------------------------
    Link to my ongoing ClearVue DC Install on CV's site: http://www.gallery2.clearvuecyclones...s-Mini-CV1400/

I used to get "farmed out" to my Tenn relatives from MA to help with the harvest...it was so much fun I couldn't sleep until dawn and would meet the crew every morning. I'd ride along leaning on the wheel guard...while my uncle told me stories about how things used to be. Man...those where the days...

My Dad just gave up baling hay...at 84 he can't keep up!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    Wow things have sure changed from the way we used to do it. In his cab is a GPS, monitor, all the goodies.
    Why would you need a GPS in the cab of a Combine!?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Art Mulder View Post
    Why would you need a GPS in the cab of a Combine!?!?
    Uneducated city boy talkin' here, but I'd suspect the yield data can be linked and tracked to the specific location in the field where it came from. I'd also guess it can also be used to track land speed as well as the amount of acreage covered.

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Uneducated city boy talkin' here, but I'd suspect the yield data can be linked and tracked to the specific location in the field where it came from. I'd also guess it can also be used to track land speed as well as the amount of acreage covered.
    For a city boy, you nailed it. In fact he also uses the data the next time he plants the field to corn. He will plug in the data to the corn planter which will automatically plant more seeds in the areas that produce better and go back to the normal plants per acre in the normal area. He can also use the data to adjust for fertilizer amounts...whole lot different than the way we used to do it.
    A very wise man once said.......
    "I'll take my chances with Misseurs Smith and Wesson. "

Quote Originally Posted by Steve Ash View Post
    For a city boy, you nailed it...
    Blonde, but not (always) dumb.

I saw a piece on TV recently about the JD Combine assembly line. It amazes me how that machine can harvest corn like that (or any other grain, for that matter). Somebody stayed up REAL late nights tofigure that stuff out.

Steve I really enjoyed your post,I come from a family of farmers,grandfather, father and one of my brothers infact I myself farmed in my younger days until I had to give it up. I continued to help out when I could and still do yet today
    though I'm supposed to be retired.

I understand your partiality to the JD line, my family has always been for the most part JD users.Our very first SP combine was a MF but it wasnt around long and from then on it was JD. Our present combine (JD 9510) doesnt have GPS but just about everything else. The comfort in operating and the technology of the machines of today are mind boggling.......sure is a diffrent game than in the old days.

I still live in a farming community but not sure how much longer it will stay that way one subdivision after another going up. Its supposed to be progress but if the acreage loss continues at this rate where's our food goig to come from?

Thanks for the post and the pic's.
    Todays mistakes can be tomorrows gain

Art, the other reason for the GPS is, have you ever tried to fly an ILS back course in a combine? GPS is the way to go. Gets you to the landing strip and back to the machine shed in the densest fog.

Actually, I wonder how they deal with variations in GPS accuracy or does it matter?