How to post automatic downloading pics

Hi there.

I've seen that some members post their pics in a way that instead of appearing the thumbnails in their post, it is the whole picture that appears.

I'd like to know how is it done and if there is some sort of forum regulation against it or in under which circumstances should or shouldn't be used?

I've looked at the tutorial but I haven't been able to see how is it done.

Moreover, is it possible to mix full size pics with thumbnails on the same post?

Thanks

Tony, I use a remote host such as photobucket (free account). Upload my pictures there. Then in the message box where I am posting here I do it like this.

And that is all that there is to it. I see no reason that you could not use thumbnails along with it but have never tried. I will leave forum rules to someone else but never had a problem.

After you set up an account at a remote host and upload some pictures it will become clear. Each picture has it's own URL.

Good Luck! Allen

Last edited:
Thanks Allen.

As I do not have any URL or FTP site to store my pics I think, that my posts will have to continue being through thumbnails.

The only problem with hosting your pictures at photobucket or another site is that if that site ever goes down, the pictures are lost from here. It's much better to load them here as thumbnails--then they will always be here. A lot of times the pictures uploaded from a url don't show up either, for some reason. Just a little red X in a box shows up.

Thanks Allen.

As I do not have any URL or FTP site to store my pics I think, that my posts will have to continue being through thumbnails.

I think that is OK Toni. I always recommend folks post their pics on the forum. That way a year from now when I go back to a member's post that I really liked, I can still see the pics.

If you remote-host the pics they can become lost, unsupported, removed, etc. If you post them here it helps to build our community of intellectual property.

I think that is OK Toni. I always recommend folks post their pics on the forum. That way a year from now when I go back to a member's post that I really liked, I can still see the pics.

If you remote-host the pics they can become lost, unsupported, removed, etc. If you post them here it helps to build our community of intellectual property.

something not well known is that at family woodworking you own your intellectual content, at most other forums you give up all rights to what you post;)

Thanks Glenn and Nancy.

BTW Glenn, or any moderator around, you talk about intelectual property, how are this issues handled in the forum?

Is there any, rule, law or anything related that I should know, or somwhere on the forum that speaks about that?

thanks

Hi Tod.

You were faster than me, I seems as if you've read my mind, please disregard my last post.

Not this one!:D the one was last before this!:D

Sorry just kidding:rofl:

toni, here`s a quote from the coc;

All information, data, text, software, music, sound, photographs, graphics, video, messages, or any other materials whatsoever ("content"), whether publicly posted or privately transmitted, is the sole responsibility of the person from whom such content originated. This means that each forum member, and not the staff of Family Woodworking, is entirely responsible for all content that he or she uploads, posts, e-mails or otherwise transmits via the Family Woodworking site.

Just a suggestion, but try to keep the photos around 800 pixels max. That way you don't have a photo running off the screen. One forum I am on doesn't host photos and we are always having someone post huge photos and then you have to scroll to read the messages. Very annoying.

800 x 800 is the maximum here. That is one reason I would really just as soon use a host. Takes less time to use a host than it does for me to downsize my pictures. Also I like to just see the pictures without having to click on them. I have been using photobucket for a long time now and they have never lost anything that belongs to me. I do not see any problem with using them or someone similar. Some of you must really have had some bad luck. In regards to removed pictures it does not seem to me that it matters whether they are removed from a host of removed from the forum. It ends up with the same result.

From Another Viewpoint

I must say that being on Dial-up, I really prefer the thumbnails, because I can read all the posts while the pics are loading and then click on the pics and they come up much faster. When the whole pic has to load in each post, it is EXTREMELY SLOW, (especially when there are several pictures) and I absolutely hate that, (sitting and drumming on the comp desk and waiting for the pics to S....L.....O....W...L....Y L....O....A....D. :doh::huh::(:dunno::eek::D

I certainly understand that Norman. That sort of thing happens out in Odessa. I was there once. Do they have a cafe or filling station yet? Just kidding. I grew up in the northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle so it is not exactly like an outsider getting all over you.

I certainly understand that Norman. That sort of thing happens out in Odessa. I was there once. Do they have a cafe or filling station yet? Just kidding. I grew up in the northwest corner of the Texas Panhandle so it is not exactly like an outsider getting all over you.

Hey Allen, you need to come back out here again and see the changes. We're still kinda shy on them Fillin' Stations, 'n cafes, but we got a FOOTBALL STADIUM.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

I forgot to mention that I've been down your way too. I sold airplanes for a year in Sarasota, in 1973/74. Later, in the early '80's, when I flew for Aviation Consultants out of El Paso, I made MANY trips into Punta Gorda/Port Charlotte since the owner of St. Lucia Airways, (one of our customers) lived there, and then on to Antigua, St. Lucia, and most of the other Caribbean Islands, and South America. Sometimes I would get loaned out to him for his business travels or to position some of their Boeing or Hercules crews. I usually stayed at the Ramada, or at their Crew House on one of the canals. I enjoyed the trips there, (and flying for him much better than MY Boss).

Last edited: