So next Thursday's post will be the "After" shots? :D

I wish my kitchen looked as good as that. Oh well. A project for some future day.:rolleyes:

please keep us posted. More pictures!!

Hey Steve, when you go back to put the toe kicks in, how about taking a real good look at that Bamboo flooring and give us a little "what you think about it" Report on it, including the brand name on it. (you might guess, my LOML saw some somewhere and has been making rumblings:doh: and the only thing I know is that some have reported good luck and some reported VERY BAD luck with it).:huh::dunno:

It would be nice if you could get those cabinets for your shop.:thumb:

steve, i don't blame you at all for not making them. sometimes it comes down to doing what is smarter money wise. and if they are nice then what is the difference. I am sure the customer just wants them to work.

thanks
chris

Hey Steve, when you go back to put the toe kicks in, how about taking a real good look at that Bamboo flooring and give us a little "what you think about it" Report on it, including the brand name on it. (you might guess, my LOML saw some somewhere and has been making rumblings:doh: and the only thing I know is that some have reported good luck and some reported VERY BAD luck with it)

Norman,

Fellow I know works at the local Big Box, and he strongly (though quietly, in case a manager was around :thumb: ) advised us to NOT consider Bamboo. The reason is that it is so hard that the installation is tough. The installers that work for them will no longer do bamboo, because of that.

Weird, I know, as so many places are touting bamboo as an environmental choice, since it is so fast growing... yet if the installation is murder, well that is up to you.

Steve,
  1. How many guys help you with a job like this? I cannot imagine doing the entire thing on my own!
  2. Did you make all the doors for the new cabs, or did you order them?
  3. Did you do all the finishing on the new ones too?
Thanks!

...He said he was going to help. :rolleyes:
Hopefully just for the tearout. :dunno:;):D

Well, I might make one suggestion: Tell him/her that you need about 100 shims sanded, from 80 grit to 600 grit, all fine-sanded by hand. Tell him/her that this is to get THE best installation possible. Then send him/her outside, to sand on a narrow saw horse. That should keep him/her out of the way for a while.

I hope it works... :D

I look forward to share photos of the dismantling, and of the installation.

He said he was going to help.

Steve,

Just think of it as an opportunity to recruit a new member! ;)

Besides, if I involve Doorlink at every step, she's way less likely to get persnickety about the result... ;)

And sometimes there's beer...:rofl:

Thanks,

Bill

Al. Sanding the shims is a great idea :thumb::rofl:

Duncan. I normally don't use metric c/c pulls.
These are supposed to be 160 m/m hole spacing, and I've already made a couple of drilling jigs for the doors and drawers.
I don't deal with metrics real well. [To hard headed to learn it :eek:]

Things like drilling metric handle holes, the spacing, I usually make sure everything is correct before I dive right in and do something.
I'm holding back,waiting for the pulls, so I can drill some test holes, to make sure my pattern jig is correct.
I'd really hate to have to waller the holes out to get the handles to fit, in front of the customer. :eek:

Just my way of trying to prevent a problem down the road. I hate screwup's:D

Steve, MasterCabinetMaker par Excellence,

I use the following to get me really close, then make the necessary micro adjustments, using scraps, and then start to do the final drilling on the doors & drawers ( http://www.sommerfeldtools.com/item.asp?n=ezm-001&d=158&b=1 ):

ezm-001_BIG.jpg

I tried making job-specific jigs, and they worked fine. This one is nice, and convenient to use. Have you ever tried it?

Al. Sanding the shims is a great idea :thumb::rofl:

Duncan. I normally don't use metric c/c pulls.
These are supposed to be 160 m/m hole spacing, and I've already made a couple of drilling jigs for the doors and drawers.
I don't deal with metrics real well. [To hard headed to learn it :eek:]

Things like drilling metric handle holes, the spacing, I usually make sure everything is correct before I dive right in and do something.
I'm holding back,waiting for the pulls, so I can drill some test holes, to make sure my pattern jig is correct.
I'd really hate to have to waller the holes out to get the handles to fit, in front of the customer. :eek:

Just my way of trying to prevent a problem down the road. I hate screwup's:D

Steve,

I was JOKING!

No way would I ever drill holes before I'd got the handles in my hand!

You mean you're not going to save time and have the holes drilled ready for the pulls when they arrive?:eek:

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

Maybe Larry can bore the holes for you, I hear he does doubles....kind of a universal hole thing....pick which one you want to use and then fill with putty the side you don't use.:rofl:

steve,

how would you handle the bigger cabs if you didn't have help. i ask because i may be faced with this situation soon as dad (my helper) is being summoned back to his old job for a few months and can't pass up the money. so i may need a few good tricks since it seems like every job i do has at least one back breaker in it. :(

i had a friend want to help me build his cabinets once, i told him it would take longer to teach him how to help me, so his help would speed things up any. he understood and left it up to me.

hope the install goes great
chris

duncan,
not to derail this thread but it's funny you should say that, my BIL is english, he moved here on a track scholarship where he met my sister. it took me a good while to get used to his humor, he would say the weirdest most off the wall things with the straightest face, and your response would always be "are you serious!!" then he'd laugh at you. now i know him well enough to just ignore him or just agree with what he says.

ok, back to thursdays cabinet install

chris