duncan,
not to derail this thread but it's funny you should say that, my BIL is english, he moved here on a track scholarship where he met my sister. it took me a good while to get used to his humor, he would say the weirdest most off the wall things with the straightest face, and your response would always be "are you serious!!" then he'd laugh at you. now i know him well enough to just ignore him or just agree with what he says.

ok, back to thursdays cabinet install

chris

Imagine what it's like here - 60 million of us all doing that all the time.

In a country the size of New York State

:doh:

Well, I might make one suggestion: Tell him/her that you need about 100 shims sanded, from 80 grit to 600 grit, all fine-sanded by hand. Tell him/her that this is to get THE best installation possible. Then send him/her outside, to sand on a narrow saw horse. That should keep him/her out of the way for a while.

Oh Al,, thats just mean!! Funny :rofl: but mean :rofl::rofl:

Congratulations, Steve!

I am utterly amazed at how quickly you can destroy a place, and then proceed to put back together better than it was before you arrived!!!

I think that, if I practice for another 15-20 years, I might be able to do something like this, although at only half-speed.

Thanks for sharing, Steve. Amazing!

steve, looks great. glad everything went in so well.

what do you use for back on your cabinets, it looks like oak on the pantry but i can't see on the others. just curious.

be sure to post the final pics....:thumb:

keep up the good work
chris

Steve,
That's a lot of work! You make it look easy enough I had a momentary thought to redo our cabinets. Very "momentary".:D
I hope the rest goes well.

Wes

Looking good, Steve!

For two days that looks like great progress. Another two to go?

It is interesting to see different ways of installing kitchens. How do you level up your base cabinets? I can't see any sign of adjustable legs on your photos.

I can see though, that you are a great believer in taking a lot of time and trouble getting your measurements right to start with and getting most ofthe work done in the shop, not on site. Were the walls nice and square?

Looking forward to seeing the next chapter!

Last edited:
Steve

That is a great job, you pro's make everything look soooooooooooooo easy! I wasn't keeping track of time but I think it took me several days to install my cabinets when I rebuilt my kitchen, but of course, that was the first time I had done it!

Jay

I shim and level my lowers. I build and attach the legs here in shop.
Walls were real nice and square:thumb:
Soffit was a little out of whack, 3/8" lower on one side.
I've got a total of 2 1/4 days after today.
I still have 1 full day left probably.
Still waiting on some of the pulls, and glass for four doors.

Wow! Here in England, whether it's a £1000 kitchen or a £100,000 one, everyone uses plastic adjustable legs!

I really envy you the square walls - I've never seen one, even on a new build!

Your timings seem about right to me Steve.

It's always the same - in the first two days all the base and wall cabs are in and the customer thinks you're almost done!

Hanging doors takes another day

Installing plinths and cornice takes another day

Finishing off and messing around with a caulk gun takes another day!

Jesse. Paycheck is close, but no caboose yet.

How do you stage your payments, Steve?

Standard here in England for a job like this would be something like;

25% with order.
25% when manufacturing starts in workshop.
25% on delivery of cabinets
25% on completion of installation.

A lot of guys I know contract out the installation and pick up the full balance when they deliver the kitchen, leaving the client to pay the fitter directly on completion.

I've not gone down this route myself but it sure sounds tempting!

50% when I get the job.
Balance after completion.

That's how I used to do it (and still do for small jobs)

As my lead time stretched to over six months though, I started to feel a little awkward asking for half the money up front. There was also the danger I'd spend it on something else before the time came to start work on that client's project!

I also got sick of being messed around on the installation. A few times I've got kitchen cabinets installed and then couldn't get finished off until the plumber/electrician/granite man had been and completed his work. In one case this took over five weeks! That's why I always collect another payment when I deliver the work prior to fitting.