How I Spent My Summer 'Vacation'

Lee DeRaud

Well, I'm retired, so I guess I'm always 'on vacation', but this was sort of my excuse for not doing much woodworking this summer: only took me 27+ years to figure out everything I didn't like about the original owner's landscaping and get straight in my head what to do about it, but so it goes.

The "before":
PICT0001.jpgPICT0005.jpgPICT0019.jpg
There was originally a small patio cover but I nuked it a couple years ago when I had the new windows put it...it was 25 years old and practically falling down at that point anyway.

The "after":
PICT0030.jpgPICT0029.jpgPICT0031.jpgPICT0036.jpgPICT0041.jpg
Still a bunch of tweaking of plants and whatnot to be done, but nothing that needs to be done now, if you get my drift. I let the contractor do the new cover: just too much heavy lifting for my taste. But the A/C enclosure and the bench are mine...hardly "fine woodworking" but at least some of my tools got a workout (besides the pick and shovel).

The real problem is that the patio is now a whole lot nicer place to spend time than my garage/shop. :p

Last edited:
Lee,

What, no pool? Your back door neighbor has a pool, your next door neighbor has a pool, shouldn't you get with the program? ;)

By the way, how'd you get the coordinates?

Turnabout is fair play: 39º03'43.56" N 77º00'59.20" W

yes, that's my red pick up in the driveway... ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Last edited:
What, no pool? Your back door neighbor has a pool, your next door neighbor has a pool, shouldn't you get with the program? ;)
Pffft. This is Southern California: every peon has a pool, but how many of them have laser-engraved Aztec calendars? :thumb:

(Plus I'd probably spend about twenty hours a day drying off the dog. :eek:)

Lee,

By the way, how'd you get the coordinates?

Turnabout is fair play: here

yes, that's my red pick up in the driveway... ;)

Thanks,
Bill

Your house shows up pretty good. When I search for mine using the strteet address, the big green arrow points to a house 4 houses south of mine, (probably due to the crazy way they number addresses here),:rolleyes: The satellite camera must have been on a different telescopic setting for our area, because the houses are Tineeeeee, and when you try to zoom in on them, they become completely distorted and badly out of focus.