Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Titan Chuck vs G3 Chuck

Titan Chuck vs G3 Chuck

Well, my box of fun came from Craft Supply today!

The Titan chuck is HUGE compared to the G3 chuck.......

Attachment 12913

Yep, that is the G3 rattling around in the Titan chuck

Attachment 12914
    Here is the sizing

Attachment 12915 Attachment 12916
    OK, here is the G3 chuck with the standard jaws on it.....

Attachment 12917 Attachment 12918
    ....and here are the new "Power Jaws" for the G3 chuck....

All in all, I'm pleased with this purchase, I can really see these being a good thing, but I now really want the SuperNova2 chuck, just to fill in the middle ground......

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Stu, you received your order before I did. I haven't received anything yet.

You should have no problem chucking up anything with those jaws. I have not seen them in person and had no appreciation for how large they actually were. I have the Powergrip jaws for the Supernova II but they pale in comparison to the Titan. Aptly named methinks.....
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Well Mike, I imagine your stuff was shipped UPS ground, mine went (by mistake) UPS air, or whatever they call it.

Them jaws are HUGE, they should lend a LOT more stability to some of the bigger blanks I have left to turn

Going to have to sell some stuff it I want to afford the SuperNova2

I can see myself adding that chuck to complete the range for sure!

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

start poppin` out wooden ashtrays for those 100$ cigars you sell
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Yep, already thought of that one, I would need a nice clear glass insert, I just need to find the right one.

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Well Mike, I imagine your stuff was shipped UPS ground, mine went (by mistake) UPS air, or whatever they call it.

Them jaws are HUGE, they should lend a LOT more stability to some of the bigger blanks I have left to turn

Going to have to sell some stuff it I want to afford the SuperNova2

I can see myself adding that chuck to complete the range for sure!

Cheers!
    The one good thing is, Stu, you can buy just a chuck body and an insert as the rest of your jaws will fit the SN II.

One other thing you might not know is how well the spigot jaws from Teknatool work. The spigot jaws are longer than regular jaws providing extended reach and access behind the work piece and have serrations inside which grip tenaciously. I have not knocked a piece out of the chuck since I switched to the spigot jaws. They come in two sizes and are a heavier cross section than the regular profiled jaws. I like 'em!
    I may be getting a little older physically but mentally I'm still tarp as a shack.

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Yep, already thought of that one, I would need a nice clear glass insert, I just need to find the right one.

Cheers!
    That should make a very nice looking ash tray, Stu. About 25 years ago, I got one of my "VERY FEW", Artsy Crafty Inspirations, and made a base for an ash tray with a glass ashtray inset in it. I didn't turn mine from wood though. I made a square form from wood and poured it full of plaster of paris and then pressed the glass ashtray into it until it was dry, and then removed it and applied Gold Leaf to the plaster of paris base. I took the glass ashtray and had my Initials etched onto the bottom of the glass ashtray, and it came out really neat. The etched letters really showed up with the gold leaf under the glass. I would take a picture of it, but about 6 years ago someone broke the base when I was out of town and the LOML threw it away before I got home or I would have repaired it.

Norman, I don't think your wife liked the base......

Do you remember the lamp that was the prize in the movie "A Christmas Story"? Wives sometimes break things that men like and make them go away................................

That thing's huge, Stu. (Biting my tongue to avoid making some pithy remark about how you must hear that all the time.) You gonna start turning end grain boxes out of telephone pole sections?

Nice score. I was eyeing the SN2 during the sale, but the limits of my G3 seem to be in pretty good sync with the limits of my lathe. I think I'll hold off on the bigger chuck until I get a bigger lathe.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Vaughn, the power jaws that fit the G3 make a large difference in the size of tenon or square stock you can chuck up, if you want a cheap upgrade, get those!

Cheers!
    William Arthur Ward