LN Plane tarnish

Try a little lemon juice, either fresh squeezed or the plastic bottled concentrate stuff to clean your hands. Burns the heck out of any little open slices and such on your hands, but the black stain just goes away. :thumb:

I get that from working mesquite, white oak, and a couple other woods. Could probably use vinegar as well, but lemon juice smells better.:rofl:

Thank you marty for posting about the black fingers and hands.

I have been having the exact same problem while planing oak with my shoulder plane.
I could not figure it out at first, thinking maybe the lead from marking with the pencil. I began wiping down different tools with a white rag hoping to narrow it down. I finally came to the conclusion it was from heavily using the shoulder plane.

To help clean the hands... I have used "Ajax cleanser" on a cloth towel backed with plywood, and briskly rubbing my fingers/hands pressing to remove the black stain. (it works in a few minutes).

THANK YOU ALL for your replies about the tannin in the oak. I have received a great education tonight.

Warm Regards,
Bill latham

Bill,

Glad my problem helped you identify yours.

At first, I was concerned that the black on my fingers would transfer to other parts/things. I quickly realized that it wouldn't, and haven't worried about it since. So my hands get dirty, I'm working in the shop...:dunno:

- Marty -

Try a little lemon juice, either fresh squeezed or the plastic bottled concentrate stuff to clean your hands. Burns the heck out of any little open slices and such on your hands, but the black stain just goes away. :thumb:

I get that from working mesquite, white oak, and a couple other woods. Could probably use vinegar as well, but lemon juice smells better.:rofl:

Not to change the subject, but you mentioned vinegar. I use a lot of vinegar on my hands when I work with concrete,something I do more often then I want. The vinegar stops the limestone and chemical reaction from occurring on your hands. I smell like a sweaty construction worker that ate WAY to much vinergarette salad for lunch when I am done, but my hands aren't sore and chapped.

The vinegar stops the limestone and chemical reaction from occurring on your hands. I smell like a sweaty construction worker that ate WAY to much vinergarette salad for lunch when I am done, but my hands aren't sore and chapped.

I'll have to try that, myself. Especially since a lot of the concrete work I do is stone masonry and I find that my hands do a much better job of tipping off between the uneven stone surfaces than I can do with a trowel. And the vinegar smell will only be just repayment to the LOML for forcing me to do that sort of work (which I dislike almost as much as painting) with projects she comes up with. :rofl: