Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: new drum sander

new drum sander

I recently discovered how much I hate sanding. I was wondering if the drum sanders work well and which ones I should consider. Any advice on this subject would greatly be appreciated. Thanks

gene,
    first off how much power do you have available? second how `bout dust collection? third what price range are you looking at? and last how much space are you willing to give up for a sander?

most sanders are power hogs! and they`re by and large heavy and spew lotsa dust.....horsepower=speed and as a rule of thumb weight= accuracy.
    there are units that`ll fit under your bench and others that won`t fit in a pick-up....how about some parameters?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

I should have plenty of power. I added a second panel when I got my MM. My dust collector is 1.5 hp made by jet. About price it's my b-day in oct. and my wife will buy me anything I ask for. She's great that way. Unfortunately size will be an issue. It would definately have to be portable. I've never seen one so I don't really have an idea of their footprint. I do have a 8x10 building in the back I could use it in except that I only have 110. Thanks.

I guess I should include that it is just a hobby. I do it on weekends when I have the time.

gene,
    i used to own one of these and in my opinion for a drum sander they`re about as good as it gets.....mine was mounted on casters so it was kinda portable but you definately wouldn`t want to try and pick it up! it may be overkill for a hobbiest? but that`s something only you can decide......i`m sure some of the folks who own or have owned other drum sanders will chime in soon.
    tod

Edit: Link Fixed (Greg)

I tried the link but it didn't work. Is this some sort of newbie trick. lol

thanks for fixin` the link greg........see what happens when i try to do `puters......

Thanks Greg. It looks like a definate possibiity. The 38 inch model would probably cover most things that I would make. I noticed on some of the wood that I planed small bits chipped out. Can this be fixed with a drum sander.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Miller View Post
    . I noticed on some of the wood that I planed small bits chipped out. Can this be fixed with a drum sander.
    yup! just be prepared to make a few passes to clean it up.....your 1-1/2 hp dust collector if hooked directly to the sander with no restrictions will probably clear the dust...i wouldn`t try to use it with more than a few feet of ducting though.

Hi Gene,

woodmaster would be a good choice, but if you want something a bit less expensive, you may want to look at Performax. 16/32 is a popular. They also offer a 22/44. Price? 16/32 around $900 and the 22/44 is $1500? i think.

hth
    joe