2 recent cypress jobs

Chris Mire

here are some pics of a couple of cypress kitchens i did last month.

the first one was my biggest job to date, along with my first ever arched raised panel on the hood.

the second is the second time i have done an angled bead board hood, but the first time in a corner, i learned exactly how not to do it next time. many planning mistakes ate up tons of wasted time.

all cabinets were unfinished and doors were outsourced.

the first set have a stain and poly and the second has a furniture wax with a tint to it. which is my favorite finish for cypress. it gives it the most natural look in my opinion. i didn't get alot of pics of this kitchen because the rest is basic stuff and the painters were in the house.

IMG_2203.JPG

IMG_2204.JPG

IMG_2205.JPG

IMG_2206.JPG

IMG_2201.JPG

IMG_2208.JPG

IMG_2213.JPG

thanks for lookin
chris

tod, thanks....can't afford to hire anyone, nor would i be able to trust someone. i'm not perfect, but at least i know when i make a mistake and can fix it.

chris

gene, that big job took me about 2-1/2 weeks to build and about 2-1/2 days to install. the other job took about 1-1/2 weeks and the same or more to install thanks to that hood and the way i built it....:doh:

steve, thank a bunch, i really like that hood too. how much does cypress go for in you area? was it knotty or clear?
it has it's up's and downs....machines easily but dents easily too. people here love it, it's the biggest trend right now...has been for years actually

thanks again
chris

that doesn't sound too bad, i am not sure what clear goes for round here cause everyone always wants the knots, which makes it a little cheaper.

1.95-2.15 slr and 13/16

chris

thanks greg i always appreciate the nice comments.

to answer your question. i was waiting on a few things.

1. proof that i could build a customer base that could help me continue to get jobs.

2. to save enough money to be able to build my shop and buy some tools so that i could do it without going into debt. i wanted to be able to shut down shop and not owe anything if things went sour.

3. I wanted to be able to tell customers i had done "x" number of jobs if they asked. not...."yes, you are my second or third kitchen"

4. i was scared to take the plunge

thanks again for the kind words.

chris

Great Job Chris!!.

I'm amazed about the amount of work that you are able to make. Don't you ever take small orders for let's say one or two cabinets??:)

Gee, Chris, I think you're about to get the "Hang" of this cabinet making thing.:rofl::rofl::rofl:

They really are nice, and I think that Hood is the neatest one I've ever seen. I really love it, and I like that arched cabinetry very much too. Beautiful work.:thumb:

tony, thanks...yes i will do small jobs. but it's hard to find the time to fit them in when these big jobs run one right behind the other. one guy i did a kitchen for wants two ent centers but i am booked on kitchens for a few months. hopefully i can get to him soon cause he is a good customer.

greg, yeah i tried to have a plan, and so far so good.

here are pics of what was supposed to be my temp shop and has become my semi temp shop...i only have pic of the framing because i was trying to help build this and work on cabinets and have a full time job back then.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=337

then i started this thread for my shop, and mine has been sitting framed up for months. i simply couldn't find the time to work on it, the weather played a part. oh, yeah and then there was that sweet little new addition we had..:thumb:

but i've been back at it recently and this weekend the wall tin will be going up....i can't wait.

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=997

i plan to start updating this thread again after this weekend. stay tuned

chris

norman, thank you very much....i think i am getting the hang of this....well that is until i hit another snag and mess up and learn something along the way. but that's all part of it i guess. every job has at least one good challenge or new thing in it.

thanks again
chris

Hi Chris,

That's great looking work! I lived in Baton Rouge for a few years while working on my postdoc and had a house there with the pecky cyprus cabinets and your very much remind me of them. Good luck with your venture!