Had a BLAST today!

Randy Privett

In Memorium
I don't get/take the time to turn something for the fun of it much anymore, it seems like I'm always to busy trying to keep everyone else turning :D.
Today, I just pulled out the new Mini hollowing system and gave it a spin. Really had a lot of fun, kinda makes me want to do some more of that, maybe I will. I know no pictures didn't happen, so seres some pics.

Attachments

• DSC01030.JPG
    DSC01030.JPG
    53 KB · Views: 94
  • DSC01037.JPG
    DSC01037.JPG
    44.8 KB · Views: 83
Doesn't look like it works, Randy. I don't see any wood chips or sawdust anywhere. :rofl:

That looks like a sweet setup. :thumb:

That's good you took some time for yourself... First of all I like the design of the new rig, the mounting bracket is strong and easy to attach or remove from the lathe. The height adjustment is set one time and it folds up for easy storage. Good job Randy!

Take some time off tomorrow and turn anothe hollow form.

Doug

Doug,

I took your advice, but I reminded myself of the Lays commercial "can't eat just one", well I couldn't do just one I had to do a couple more. Besides I had some things to work out on the tooling. A couple of maple and one walnut. Right now they have just got some oil, I'll let them set for a few days then buff and wax. What do you think?

Attachments

• DSC01040.JPG
    DSC01040.JPG
    35.1 KB · Views: 23
  • DSC01046.JPG
    DSC01046.JPG
    31.6 KB · Views: 21
  • DSC01047.JPG
    DSC01047.JPG
    35 KB · Views: 24
  • DSC01048.JPG
    DSC01048.JPG
    32.8 KB · Views: 18
You did a fine job, I like the tall maple HF the best. The more I look at the new rig the more I need one LoL I know you don't have it in production yet and won't ask. I do have some .390 round stock hardened if you want to try it, this steel makes a heck of a scraper.

Good Job!

Thanks everyone for the kind words. It was fun to turn some pieces for the fun of it. Well and to do some testing. :D I have found with developing any tool, you have to put it through some hard testing to insure it will cut in all the areas, within reason, it supposed to before releasing it for sale to the public.
If you look at most of the hollow forms that people are making these days, 80% of them could be made on the mini lathes. I thought that there was a need for a commercial type system that could be easily set up and maintained. I will probably introduce it here at a reduced price for the first few.
Doug I might take you up on the material.

Looks real nice Randy! Is that rig designed for minis that don't have an extension or do you need to have an extension to make it work?

And those are some nice hollow forms too.

Bill

Bill,
This is one that no extension is required, as you can see from the picture I have attached, there is quite a bit of room to allow for a longer piece.

Attachments

• DSC01034.JPG
    DSC01034.JPG
    42.2 KB · Views: 23