Thread: Need router bit

Need router bit

I am looking for an upspiral carbide bit, 3/8" dia x 1/4" shank. I checked all the catalogs and none are listed. They list 3/8" and 1/2" shank, but no 1/4". Can anyone help me?

2. Ronald,

With solid carbide the cut diameter should always be less than or equal to the shank diameter. To make a bit like you describe would result in a bit that would break if you looked at it wrong. Better to stick with 1/4" cut diameter and make two passes.

UPcut spiral router bit

Quote Originally Posted by Charles McCracken View Post
    Ronald,

With solid carbide the cut diameter should always be less than or equal to the shank diameter. To make a bit like you describe would result in a bit that would break if you looked at it wrong. Better to stick with 1/4" cut diameter and make two passes.
    Charles, I am trying to build a pocket hole cutter from plans in "Shopnotes". The author claims a 3/8" straight bit doesn't work, but he switched to a spiral up-cut bit and it worked great (he claimed). Cutting pocket holes 3/8" wide, shouldn't require too much power, so a 1/4" router should be adequate. I think a 1/2" router, not only more expensive and large, would be "overkill" for this job. I don't know where the author got his bit from and if he used a 1/4" or 1/2" router. HSS would work OK.

ronald, the p/c pocket cutter i use has a 690 spinnin` the 3/8 bit and a laminate trimmer spinnin` the pilot bit......the 3/8 bit is a 1/2" shank straight bit.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

5. Ronald,

You may be correct that a 1/4" shank router would push the 3/8" bit (although when you get to the full depth of the pocket you are removing a lot of material) but you would likely have to try to find a HSS end mill to get the dimensions you want.

Thank you all for your responses. I now have a clearer picture.