Need router bit

Ronald Seto

I am looking for an upspiral carbide bit, 3/8" dia x 1/4" shank. I checked all the catalogs and none are listed. They list 3/8" and 1/2" shank, but no 1/4". Can anyone help me?

Ronald,

With solid carbide the cut diameter should always be less than or equal to the shank diameter. To make a bit like you describe would result in a bit that would break if you looked at it wrong. Better to stick with 1/4" cut diameter and make two passes.

UPcut spiral router bit

Ronald,

With solid carbide the cut diameter should always be less than or equal to the shank diameter. To make a bit like you describe would result in a bit that would break if you looked at it wrong. Better to stick with 1/4" cut diameter and make two passes.
Charles, I am trying to build a pocket hole cutter from plans in "Shopnotes". The author claims a 3/8" straight bit doesn't work, but he switched to a spiral up-cut bit and it worked great (he claimed). Cutting pocket holes 3/8" wide, shouldn't require too much power, so a 1/4" router should be adequate. I think a 1/2" router, not only more expensive and large, would be "overkill" for this job. I don't know where the author got his bit from and if he used a 1/4" or 1/2" router. HSS would work OK.

ronald, the p/c pocket cutter i use has a 690 spinnin` the 3/8 bit and a laminate trimmer spinnin` the pilot bit......the 3/8 bit is a 1/2" shank straight bit.

Ronald,

You may be correct that a 1/4" shank router would push the 3/8" bit (although when you get to the full depth of the pocket you are removing a lot of material) but you would likely have to try to find a HSS end mill to get the dimensions you want.