Painting new metal

Getting ready to paint new metal joist hangers. Will use new metal spray primer on the hangers before applying paint color. Question: any suggestions for removing the oily film on the hangers before applying primer? I thought of using just soap and water and allowing to dry really good before applying primer. Any better suggestions?

Hi Robert, you can buy this stuff called "Brake & Parts Cleaner" or some such name at car or bike parts stores, it is really cheap, a BIG can for a couple of bucks, it works well at removing all kinds of grease etc on steel before painting, I use it on my various restoration projects before I put primer on them.

Good luck!

The nice thing about brake cleaner, is that it comes in an aerosol, it evaporates in seconds, and does not smell real bad.

Lacquer thinner is nasty! :D

Yeah, I don't think the "Dungeon" would be a good place to use it, (unless you want a cheap Thrill).:D

Boy you got that right, I "RARELY" use it at all, an when I do, I take whatever I'm cleaning topside and leave it there to "breathe" as well as any rags, hate the stuff, works great on somethings, but still.......... :bang:

Yeah, but it's cheaper than that Suntory whisky!

Japan is the largest producer of whiskey in the world (yeah, I was surprised to learn that too) and I've yet to find one that tastes good :doh:

Give me a good single malt anytime! :thumb:

PS, Duncan, you know what I do for a day job, now you really don't think I would PAY for whiskey do you ;) :D :rofl:

Japan is the largest producer of whiskey in the world (yeah, I was surprised to learn that too) and I've yet to find one that tastes good :doh:

Give me a good single malt anytime! :thumb:

PS, Duncan, you know what I do for a day job, now you really don't think I would PAY for whiskey do you ;) :D :rofl:

'Course not Stu,

But I would expect a single malt drinker to know that it's spelt 'whisky'.

The Irish version is spelt 'whiskey'.

I believe it is made in some other countries too but they don't count!

'Course not Stu,

But I would expect a single malt drinker to know that it's spelt 'whisky'.

The Irish version is spelt 'whiskey'.

I believe it is made in some other countries too but they don't count!

Yeah, well, I was reading it off a bottle of Suntory........ in Japanese...... (that's my story and I'm sticking to it.....) :eek:

Actually, they spell it Whiskey and Whisky here in Japan, and in the US some are Whisky while others are Whiskey....

Last edited:
Be carefull useing brakeclean, some brands leave a residue that will cuase the paint to peel. The auto stores carry a product for removing grease and any other thing(finger prints) left on the bare metal.

That may be very well true Al, I've not encountered that but I would imagine that the formulas are somewhat different from here to there.

Cheers!