jet blower problem

Gene Miller

I wasn't sure where to post this so I apologize if this is the wrong spot. I was going to add a permanent extension to my 1.5 hp jet dust collector . The original was just to short. The extension cord that I have been using must have been to small because inside behind the on and off switches is a big black and gray melted mess. It still works but I would like to replace it. It's not the starter capacitor but the other one. It's not readable anymore and frankly I don't know how it would even work. The new wire will be 25 ft and is 12 gauge. Any ideas what it says on it.

it's not the switch but behind it. I think that it is a running capacitor. i can't read the numbers anymore. It's there dc-1100 series. I hope I did the pictures correctly. I looked on line but they changed the switch.
switch002.jpg

switch001.jpg

gene,
first thing i`d do is call wmh parts and ask if they`ve had issues with your model of d/c.....explain what`s melted and see what they say.
if they`re no help, and parts are crazy high then i`d seek out a local motor shop, but expect a 50 dollar bill for darn near any switch/cap replacement, the cap is probably 10-20 and the switch somewhere in the same neighborhood?
if you`re serious about a sander this might be an omen:eek:....1-1/2 hp is on the edge of cleaning a 26-36" drum with no piping or restrictions?

[edit] the switch looks fine? all i see is a melted cap...

i'll probably hold off on the drum sander for now. based on what the response was they sould like they could be more trouble then they are worth. 250 v and 20u is all that is still legitable so I'm sure that if i call jet they can tell me. i always wonder if they would admit if there was a problem. it does still work but i'll have to replace it for piece of mind.

I think you got off real lucky there.

I was working in the shop one day with my DC tucked into a corner on the far side of the garage when my run capacitor burst into flames (Delta DC).

I sprayed it down with a chemical fire extinguisher and managed to get to it before any damage occurred. Freaked me out big time.

At any rate, I was able to order a replacement from some tool parts dealer on the net. Found the part number in the instruction manual, IIRCC.

Pretty easy to fix....

they`re pretty straight up..as far as standing behind stuff that`s their fault.
hopefully others have had the same issues? phone calls are cheap.....let us know.

i'll have time to call them tomorrow, i agree the fix looks easy, a couple of wires with nuts. i just wonder why it happened if it was something that i did. i guess it was lucky that i decided to replace the plug wire with a longer one.

looks like 20mfd 250 volt about $10 replace it. had the same but differant problem in warrenty 2 months to be repaired, not good.

Have fun Dennis

i called the manufacturer and they put one in the mail. it's $36 to my door. worth it so i don't have to worry about getting the wrong one. the new one is supposed to be better . sounds good to me. thanks for all the help

I've seen capicators blow, but it was because someone did something boneheaded with them.:doh:

I've never seen capicators melt down when attached to a motor/switch. That's a bit scarey.

Its good that you were able to get a replacement from the manfacture. At least this way you'll know its the right one.

I would double check the insulation on all of the wires in the switch box. I probably would consider replacing them. Its hard to say what damage the heat from the "melt down" caused to the insulation. If the insulation is damaged it might cause a worse problem next time.:eek:

i think that i may have caused the problem. i was using a remote switch to turn it on which was rated for 1.5 hp but i also used a pig tail to add my shop vacuum in. i wanted to catch the dust from both the 4 inch opening and the 2 inch opening over the blade. being new i didn't realize that i could do it with just the dc. i put more of a draw on the switch then it was rated for. i think that is what caused it to get so hot. live and learn.