Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: organization in the shop

organization in the shop

Have any of you mounted a successful campaign against disorganization / clutter? This is probably the most important skill that I need to learn - any suggestions would be appreciated.

Dont ask me.................Been working on it for............?????????

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

My first challenge was to get rid of all the stuff that didn't belong in my work area and posed a space and safety threat. BTW, I still have a small fire safe that I need to move (been there about 2 months). Once the 'shouldn't be there anyway' stuff is gone, I have time to organize a little.

Everything (well, almost) should have a spot. Once this is accomplished it boils down (for me) to habit. While I am waiting for something to stop spinning, or to dry, or whatever; I pick up something that I'm temporarily done with and put it away (because now it has a place and its easy).

I should mention that a wise man once wrote that you need 4 square feet of space to use while you're working; just to set stuff on as you go. I have found 8 square feet is more like it and I use a rolling worktable for this. That way stuff isn't setting on my work surface and getting in my way, yet is close at hand.

I create as big of a trail as anyone while I'm working. The trick that keeps me sane is to pick up AS I GO ALONG. Resist the "I'll get to that when I'm done" fiasco. I also pick up everything before I quit for the day, even if I know I'll use it again tomorrow. Plans change but tools left out just stay there.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-26-2007 at 10:04 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Mark,

As Glenn said, it helps to pick up as-you-go.

In our case, many of the small tools live on this peg board system:

The peg board is close to the workbench, where I am likely to use most of these small tools - most of the every-day planes, rasps, chisels, etc., that I am likely to need are in the cabinet below the bench, along with a few on the walls, also nearby:

And most of the small power tools reside in the cabinets along the far wall - this shot was taken from the ladder to the attic, and just over the edge of the peg board system:

You might want to look at my blog, where the rest of the photos of the shop are. I just updated the blog yesterday, with a full tour of our shop.

Al
    Watch videos from Woodworking in America in Berea, KY
    New blog URL: http://sandal-woodsblog.com/
    Sandal Woods - Fine Woodworking
    We will build your heirlooms

you guys are sick! my shop is governed by the "flat surface rule".....every flat surface gathers "stuff"....some days i move one pile to another flat surface, but by and large they all remain cluttred...but i do know where every tool is
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    you guys are sick! my shop is governed by the "flat surface rule".....every flat surface gathers "stuff"....some days i move one pile to another flat surface, but by and large they all remain cluttred...but i do know where every tool is
    In my defense, I do use Tod's system at work. Since Tod's shop is his office I say; no foul. Seriously though, I see opportunity all over your shop. You can find storage all over the place:

Salvaged cabinet from an old mainframe shop
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blue-Cab.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	105.9 KB 
ID:	12960
    Salvaged kitchen cabs from a neighbor who was remodeling

Name:	Salvaged-Kit-Cabs.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	105.6 KB 
ID:	12968
    Back of doors and tool cabinets

Name:	Wall-and-Door.jpg 
Views:	49 
Size:	105.7 KB 
ID:	12969
    Along any wall

Name:	Clamps-and-wood-rack.jpg 
Views:	45 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	12964
    Under your bench

Name:	Bench-drawers.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	106.7 KB 
ID:	12963
    On the end of your bench

Name:	Bench-ends.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	102.6 KB 
ID:	12961
    Under your RT

Name:	RT-drawers.jpg 
Views:	36 
Size:	103.9 KB 
ID:	12966
    Behind your RT

Name:	Back-of-RT.jpg 
Views:	24 
Size:	106.4 KB 
ID:	12962
    Under your worktable

Name:	Rolling-Table-drawers.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	105.3 KB 
ID:	12965
    Even under the support for your TS extensions

Name:	TS-stash-slider.jpg 
Views:	47 
Size:	106.8 KB 
ID:	12967
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 09-26-2007 at 11:51 PM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    I'm getting better. I saw a small piece of the floor yesterday.

One thing that's helping is we moved here 2 1/2 years ago, so anything that hasn't been used since we got here is now a candidate for goodwill or craigslist.

A theory I like a lot, but apply to only 10% of my tools is that everything should have its own visible place, so if you look there and its not there, you can start backtracking to the last time you used it. Unfortunately, I kinda have a plane pile and a chisel pile, and finishing hill - so any specific thing usually requires some digging.
    Don't believe everything you think!

Quote Originally Posted by glenn bradley View Post
    In my defense, I do use Tod's system at work. Since Tod's shop is his office I say; no foul.
    It's strange eh? I'm polar opposites at home and at work. At home I'm a slob ... yup ... a gennywhine, gold plated, platinum core slob. At work I'm anal about how my workspace is. Every tool has a place, each table or worklift has a place. The floor, desk and workbench is wiped cleaned after each job and all my tools are wiped down and put back into the toolbox after each job or after each stage of a job. I figure that I work best and fastest when I "take the time" to be neat and organised. My goal is to provide one billable hour to my employer for each hour that I get paid. If you saw me laying out new and old parts in a perfect assembly order before I start a job, you'd split a gut laughing ... you could almost measure the spaces between the parts and they'd all be the same ....

At home ... any flat surface will do ... (sad, very sad ...)

cheers eh

Mark,
    other than cutting those chord pieces for my truss, I've not seen you work in your shop yet. I'm no expert on keeping up with clutter, believe me, but you've got a great start on the shop, you're good at putting the tools away in your rollaround units, expand that so your multi table isn't covered with stuff. Build a new work table so that you can have a place to put stuff while you're working on the multi table. A temporary or permanent landing zone for the stuff that frequently lands on the multi table is the first step I'd take. YMMV of course, since it is your shop.

shelves over the multi table area?
    -Ned

I've tried to have a place for everything but in a small shop sometimes its hard.

To me a bigger shop would have more floor space for assembly a 1 or 2 more storage cabinets 5' wide & 7'8" tall & a pile it bench where I can pile things so the bench top & any other top in the shop doesn't have anything on it but what its supposed to have one it.

I believe up to a point bigger is good but there is a such a thing as to big when it comes to a shop because the further you spread things out the further you have to walk to complete a task. I still want a bigger shop.
    Last edited by Bart Leetch; 09-27-2007 at 12:02 AM.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart