Another 200v 20a Breaker Question

glenn bradley

Another 220v 20a Breaker Question

I have found double space and single space 20a breakers. Other than taking half the room, the specs seem identical. Both allow each half to be used as a single pole 20a or a double pole 20a via a clip that latches the two "switches" together. Any thoughts?

For example only.

Last edited:
Another 200v 20a Breaker Answer

The half height breaker that you are showing is only 120V because it only attached to one leg of the breaker panel.

They make a half height breaker the same size as the double, you just have two 230V breakers, they use the two inside and the two outside switched ganged together to give you two circuits. They attach to two legs of the input power so you get the 230V that you want.

Just make sure that you have the same manfacturer breakers as the basic panel as that is the way they are tested and apporved by UL.

Dave

Thanks gang. Yeah the pics were just for an example. The actual breakers I am looking at are different.

Special thanks to Dave. The quad breakers he describes are made for my box and are pretty clever. As described by Dave, there are four single pole breakers. When mounted in the box, the center pair stand on opposite legs and have a common trip. The outer pair do the same. Quite a nice space saver that may help me meet my needs without crowding the box at all.

Last edited: