Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: First Carving!

First Carving!

I've been wanting to take a shot at carving for some time now. I bought a #5 Flexcut gouge for the spoon contest (wrong tool for that) and made a carving knife. Well here's what I came up with. Nothing special, but it was fun trying something new!

Hi Ed,
    I'm no carver but that looks real nice! Put that in perspective, what size are we looking at, how much time do you think you put in on it, ( only so other beginners, like me , might get the feel for what the time frame might be) and then answer me this... What are you doing carving WHEN YOU HAVE A FENCE TO FINISH? Or... is the fence done?
    S
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

It looks really good Ed. I admire folks who are artistic like this, and like the folks who show such graceful forms in their turnings. Many years ago I carved some basket weave on a slippery rifle stock grip and it went very well, but it was only straight lines, not graceful like this one of yours. Please show us more when you do more.

cheers eh?

Ed,
    It is a very good starting point.
    I want to learn how to carve.
    Someday I will try.

Saludos
    Alfredo

It's pretty small. About 3"~3-1/2" square. I would guess I have no more than an hour in it. I saw the design online somewhere and just free handed the pattern on the block. I stopped by Woodcraft on my why home and they were telling me that Walnut was a difficult wood to carve, guess it was a good thing I didn't know any better!

Nice job! specially if it is your first go at it. My first one was not even close to that at all.

When I started carving I got a few advices from a professional carver that now I'm passing onto you.

Use good and really sharp gouges, if you don't know how to sharpen them learn that first, otherwise your first jobs will look awful, be a nigthmare to make and hence you may become frustrated and give up.

Work big! Learning to carve by oneself is hard enough, don't make it worse trying to make wachtmaker jobs. You say that this flower is about 3" x 3", twice as that would have been better and easier.

Do not sand a piece, and carve it again, use rasps instead, sand paper leaves small particles emmbeded in the wood that will blunt the edges of your gouges and you'll have to hone them more often.

And last but not least, if it looks wrong IT IS WRONG. When working with volumes and you reach a point where you feel that there is something wrong but can't identify what it is, take the piece and look at it either upsidedown or at its reflected image on a mirror. Proportion errors will show up immediately.

I look forward to see your next job!.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Looks like you are whittling away at it Ed

Great advice Toni!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Great job, Ed. I did some feeble attempts at carving many years ago, with improper tools, so I never came close to making something that nice. I have a friend in Albuquerque who's got a real talent for it. Hopefully someday I can get a chance to learn some from him.
    Quote Originally Posted by Toni Ciuraneta View Post
    ...And last but not least, if it looks wrong IT IS WRONG. When working with volumes and you reach a point where you feel that there is something wrong but can't identify what it is, take the piece and look at it either upsidedown or at its reflected image on a mirror. Proportion errors will show up immediately...
    That's great advice. I'm going to have to try the mirror trick with turned pieces. Sometimes it's difficult to visualize a piece when it's still mounted on the lathe, turned 90 from how it's going to be viewed.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

looks good ed! toni is spot on with his advice too. i like walnut-n-mahogany for carving much more than some of the softer stuff, a little more effort but in the end it`ll hold details well and still be pretty wood.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    That's great advice. I'm going to have to try the mirror trick with turned pieces. Sometimes it's difficult to visualize a piece when it's still mounted on the lathe, turned 90 from how it's going to be viewed.
    Good point Vaughn! and depending whether you put the mirror, on the chuck or on the other side you'll see your bowl or whatever, standing right or upside down.

Furthermore, if you are sketching on a piece of paper you just can flip the sheet, put it against the light of your room a look at it through the paper you'll achieve the same results, no need of going to the toilet mirror to check it.
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...