Mr and Mrs Travis Johnson

Okay, I was reminiscing today and thought I would share how I proposed to my wife. I don't think I explained this before, but I used my first love, Patty, with my second love, woodworking, and literally used woodworking to unite the two loves!! I thought this was the place place to post something like this. I think it's okay.

A few years ago I decided that I wanted my girlfriend, Patty Ryan, a 5th Grade Elementary teacher, to be my wife. I also wanted this moment in time to be very special. To do that I took a wooden apple, bored a hole in it to form a hole and lid, then drilled a hole at an angle through the core and fabricated up the arrow tip and some fletching. The fletching however had to be removable from the
shaft. The reason for that can be seen in the next part of this thread...

Wooden_Apple2-454x304.jpg

By removing the fletching and withdrawing the shaft from the apple core, I was able to slip the ring through the shaft of the apple and replace the fletching. I also used my computer to type up a scroll saying "Will you marry me" and accordioned the paper so it would fit inside the bored out apple. Attaching it to the lid, the written proposal would be withdrawn when the lid of the apple was opened up.

Opened_Up_Apple2.jpg

My plan was pretty simple, but when I called the Principal to obtain permission to propose to Patty at school, things got out of hand.

Not merely content to let me present this to Patty in her classroom, the Principal (centered in this picture) decided to have a school assembly under the rouse that Patty had to speak about an upcoming writing contest.

As I hid in a back closet, the apple was placed in a non-descript paper bag and was to be given to one of her students. As Patty began to explain the
rules of the speaking contest to the entire school...about 140 kids...she was thinking how foolish it was to take time away from teaching.

Still she was a little surprised when she opened the bag.

What_Is_This2.jpg

Things could not have worked out better. Patty opened the bag, saw the apple and of course took off the lid. As she saw the note, she innocently read the note out loud.

"Will you marry me?"

Patty was a bit bewildered until I stepped onto to stage. Looking at me, she instantly turned red and began to blush not really believing that this occurred. Words can not convey how shocked she was at being proposed to like that, as can be seen in the photo.

Yes2.jpg

In the excitement of it all, Patty never answered me, so a kid yells out "What
is your answer?"

Of course she said yes, but because we were in front of 140 kids, we did not
kiss. I guess we saved that for the honeymoon because on October 8th
2005 we were married, and 10 months later our our first child Alyson Rose Johnson was born.

Patty_Travis_Small2.jpg

5.22.07c.JPG

What a neat story, Travis. And what a true romantic you are! Beautiful wife, beautiful daughter---what else do you want?

Nancy (85 days)

Well a new scrollsaw would be nice, along with a.....

I am just kidding of course. I've been through quite a bit Nancy, from divorce, to a sister getting killed in a car accident, to my parents house burning down, and other things. I don't think anyone DESERVES anything nice in life, but its nice to appreciate the things you do acquire when you get a break.

I think there are three ways to look at life. Those that look back on the past opportunities in life and failed to make them special. Those that realized there was a special opportunity at their door, and yet for some reason was to scared to make the most of it. And then those that realize a special opportunity in life is approaching, and do what they can to make the most of it.

I was in the second camp most of the time in my first marriage. I say this with pride, and with some age and maturity now, but I'm not going to make that mistake on the second marriage.

I recall seeing this story quite a while back on SMC. Great way to propose, and you tell the story well. Well done, Travis. :thumb:

My niece's husband proposed to her via a message on the Jumbotron screen at a San Diego Padres game. She said yes, and the whole crowd watched on the big screen. No pressure, huh? They had already discussed it, but she wasn't expecting a public proposal. (He's a great guy, and she would have been a fool to say no to him anyway.) ;) Your way was much more creative. :)