I went to Arkysaw!

I took a road trip and visited with Mark Cothren in his shop last Thursday - Saturday! Dennis Peacock joined us for Fridays turn-a-thon as well. I have to say, those southern boys KNOW how to entertain a visitor! I ate all kinds of wonderful food, learned more about turning than I thought possible, came home with a truck load of wood, and completely enjoyed the friendship!!! THANKS GUYS.

Here's a few pictures of what got turned......

A "user" ash bowl with a little of everything going on in it - curl, bark, bug holes, bug doo, etc....

BarryAsh02.jpg

My biggest bowl to date, about 13 wide and 8 tall.

BarryBigAsh01.jpg

This was a collaborative piece out of splated choke cherry, I roughed it in Alaska before the move, and Mark finish turned it. :thumb:

CherryBowl01.jpg

CherryBowl02.jpg

CherryBowl03.jpg

Another collaborative piece, Mark had roughed a great sycamore HF that I promptly turned into a bowl type thingie with a quick slip on the Monster rig :doh:

SycamoreHF01-1.jpg

SycamoreHF02-2.jpg

The table of our efforts.....some still intact, a few not:eek:

HPIM1638 (600 x 448).jpg

Mark turning a walnut HF......

HPIM1613 (600 x 448).jpg

Dennis working on a little piece;)

HPIM1631 (448 x 600).jpg

What a fantastic trip. THANKS for the hospitality guys and lets do that again!!!!!!:thumb::thumb:

Hi Barry, :wave:
It sounds like you had a great time with those boys. What you have is rather precious stuff, good memories, sound advice, and a stronger bond with folks that matter to you! A real winner.
Shaz

Barry....Congrats!

Dennis gave that turning the formal treatment!

He covered up his coveralls!

:D
Look closely...he changed clothes and put on blue jeans. :p

Looks like a great time Barry. I'm sure those Southern boys know how to show someone a good time. Did you need to take an interpreter with you so you could understand what they were saying? :rofl:

You dad-gummed eskimo... you weren't havin' any problems understanding me when I was telling you which pieces of wood to load up in the back of that little wimpy truck of your's...:D

100_0880.jpg

Southern Clothing Terminology

Looks like a great visit there in FlatFoot Land :thumb:

I'm wondering why Dennis didn't convert Barry to the cover-all mode, and there isn't 17 fishing poles sticking out everywhere in the back of Barry's truck. :huh:

Now Steve, I know that Edwards, Mo isn't so far North that you've Forgotten the proper "Southern Clothing Terminology" too, but just in case, Somebody has got to get Ole Ken and all those Northern Boys up to date on tha proper Nomenclature.:doh:

Now "Everybody" down South KNOWS that what Dennis is wearing, is called "Bib Overalls", NOT, "Coveralls".

Blue Denim Bib Overalls, ARE, Formal attire when accompanied with a suitcoat, OR Semi Formal, with a Sportcoat with suede Elbow patches. :thumb: (Striped Bib overalls however, are Casual Attire).:D

Coveralls, on the other hand, are a one piece outfit (with the long sleeved shirt sewed onto tha pants at the waist), that zips up from the crotch to the adams apple) and these are "Casual Attire".

Now them Wealthy Gentlemen Farmers and Horse Breeders have a Casual outfit made Similar to the Coveralls but made out of Finer material, (and usually Bright Colors), but with Short sleeved shirts and a little clip together belt sewed onto tha middle, but these can be Formal too iff'n they have a little gold Crest sewed onto tha shirt pocket, and are worn with with a long sleeved shirt under it AND one 'o them Silky Scarfs (they call Ascots) around their neck. Now ya know tha whole thang.:thumb: :rofl::rofl::rofl:

Last edited: