Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Why Would The Delta 20" Drill Press NOT Be A Good Choice?

Why Would The Delta 20" Drill Press NOT Be A Good Choice?

I am researching a new Drill Press. I have looked at the new Delta 20" introduced at the Atlanta show, but its availability keeps getting delayed - now sometime February or March '07. I like its 6"+ quill travel. The new Powermatic 2800 is out and available. However, the Delta 20" 70-200 has been out for a while and looks substantial. After reviewing its features below, what does it lack to be a solid addition to a woodworking shop?

20" 1HP 120/240V Drill Press Model 70-200:

Speed Range: 150-2200
    Chuck Taper: Jacobs 3
    Quill: Diameter - 2 7/16"
    Quill Stroke: 4 3/4"
    Capacities: Key chuck= 5/8"; chuck to table= 24 1/2"; chuck to base= 44"
    Overall Dimensions: 67" tall; 18 1/2" wide; 34" deep
    Weight: 345 lbs.
    Quill Travel: 4 3/4" step pulley or variable speed
    Motor: 1HP 120/240V, single phase; 60 Hz.; 1720RPM
    Spindle Speeds: 150, 260, 300, 440, 490, 540, 1150, 1550, 2200
    Table: Cast-iron, production type with clamping slots and coolant trough; 18 3/8" x 16 1/8"; tilt= 0 to 45 degs left and right
    Column Diameter: 3 5/8"
    Spindle Taper: #3 Morse Taper

Thank you for your input.
    Jeff Wright
    Treasure Island FL

jeff, what are you wanting to do with a drill press? i`ve got by with the 17" tai/chi units for years in a woodshop......20" is nice! but do you need(or want) the extra deapth and associated costs? tod
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    jeff, what are you wanting to do with a drill press? i`ve got by with the 17" tai/chi units for years in a woodshop......20" is nice! but do you need(or want) the extra deapth and associated costs? tod
    Tod, I will be building cabinets and furniture (and maybe an occasional small boat). But I also suffer from the syndrome of wanting to buy my last piece of equipment first and not being frustrated with a tool inadequate to do the job. If spending a couple hundred extra will help insure satisfaction, I figure it's money well spent.
    Jeff Wright
    Treasure Island FL

jeff, if money is less of an issue than function...then go for the longest quill stroke available, 1 hp or greater motor, a large square table.......then throat depth.........then if you`ve not broke the bank and changing belts bothers you look at variable speed.............if ya` ain`t skeered yet , then look at the "gearhead " units.........some of these compare price wise to used bridgeports! which is the next step up.......and may be an option if you don`t mind used machines? older bridgeports that are worn for metal working have tighter tollerances than most new drill presses plus have x-y tables, deap throats and tons of power.........something to think about? tod

[quote=tod evans;5883]if ya` ain`t skeered yet , then look at the "gearhead " units.........some of these compare price wise to used bridgeports! which is the next step up.......

Tod,

1] What's a gearhead unit?
    2] Any hints about where I might find a used Bridgeport for sale?

Thanks for your input . . . good info.
    Jeff Wright
    Treasure Island FL

jeff, here`s a link to the gearheaded units carried through amazon;
    http://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_ss_hi...ad+drill+press

for a used bridgeport? look local `cause they`re heavy! maybe a machine shop upgrading, or one going out of business......used equipment dealers....
    bridgeports are really cool machines! if a person knows how to run one well he can build just about any tool in the shop with one.......but they`ll kick butt as a drill press .......tod

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jeff,
    While not a Bridgeport here's a lead on a Clausing in Tarpon Springs.
    http://tampa.craigslist.org/tls/232919649.html

The older Clausing are very nice machines also and would do a bang up job as a precsion drill.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

somewhere east of Queen Creek, AZ - South East of Phoenix
    Jeff,
    If you've never seem one before here' is a picture.
    "There’s a lot of work being done today that doesn’t have any soul in it. The technique may be the utmost perfection, yet it is lifeless. It doesn’t have a soul. I hope my furniture has a soul to it." - Sam Maloof
    The Pessimist complains about the wind; The Optimist expects it to change;The Realist adjusts the sails.~ William Arthur Ward

Placitas, NM in the foothills of the Sandia Mt
    Good thread. I think this thread really makes the point that links add value to the forum.

don, clausings are darn nice machines too! if the guy on craigs list is including some tooling?( it`s worded like he is) that`d be a potential steal.....
    more food for thought eh jeff