Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Entertainment center

Entertainment center

here's my plan for an entertainment center . any advice or comments are welcome. first time using sketchup. i think i did o.k. any advice about using it would also helpful.
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...mentcenter.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Miller View Post
    here's my plan for an entertainment center . any advice or comments are welcome. first time using sketchup. i think i did o.k. any advice about using it would also helpful.
    http://i230.photobucket.com/albums/e...mentcenter.jpg
    Hi Gene,
    That looks like a great project. Your sketch up is much better than what I can do! how do you like your drawing? What will you use your drawers for?
    Nice plan!
    Shaz
    I am afraid your vacuum cleaner is going to end up defacing the speaker cloth on the bottom. maybe not
    Last edited by Robert Schaubhut; 11-25-2007 at 11:40 PM.
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

i think the drawers will mostly be used to store movies. i haven't given that much thought.the size was just what was left over after i placed the center of the tv at eye height. i still have to finish my other project but i'm just thinking ahead. your right about the bottom of the speaker fabric. i'll probably frame it and then put the fabric in the middle.

Hi Gene,
    If you are going to store movies, plan on about a 7" drawer front with drawer behind to accomodate them. No sense wasting space.
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Shaz
    Here is how

If you anything like me and my wife your going to change that design a lot before you build it!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

Shaz, your probably right about the size. what i did was i drew up the outside dimensions and then i put the tv at the correct height. the next thing that i did was to cover up the trim around the tv so that just the screen was showing. the bottom section i tried different types of combos until i found one that looked right to me. i can't remember if i tried 3 drawers. after that i actually laid it out full size on a large sheet of paper to check the look which i hung on the wall for a couple of days. i would of left it longer but my wife made me take it down. i'll try the 3 drawers and see what it looks like. my main concern when making something without plans is that some porportions look odd to me. i don't want something that ever time i look at it something doesn't look quite right. i don't know if that makes any sense but that is where i am at with this plan.
    thanks for the input, changes are definitely in the wind

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Miller View Post
    Shaz, your probably right about the size. what i did was i drew up the outside dimensions and then i put the tv at the correct height. the next thing that i did was to cover up the trim around the tv so that just the screen was showing. the bottom section i tried different types of combos until i found one that looked right to me. i can't remember if i tried 3 drawers. after that i actually laid it out full size on a large sheet of paper to check the look which i hung on the wall for a couple of days. i would of left it longer but my wife made me take it down. i'll try the 3 drawers and see what it looks like. my main concern when making something without plans is that some porportions look odd to me. i don't want something that ever time i look at it something doesn't look quite right. i don't know if that makes any sense but that is where i am at with this plan.
    thanks for the input, changes are definitely in the wind
    Hi Gene,
    Take your time in the planning of the "Look" you want! You can build it if you can draw it. ( not always but it sounds good)
    Good idea making it to scale. Your wife is more important than the TV and it's stand, it is normal that she would take it down, they are supposed to, they are girls. just keep looking for ideas. Scan the net for consoles and Tv stands, not to plagarize, just for ideas.
    keep us posted as to how we might help.
    Shaz
    Shaz
    Here is how

Here is the revised version. I decided to build it to take up the entire wall. 122" by 22" deep by 8' high. I would use crown molding at the top to transition between the piece and the ceiling. Any suggestions or comments are welcome.

gene, 18 5/16" is to narrow for most audiophile gear. 19" will be tight and cooling will be an issue.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

(oops) Thanks Tod, I hadn't even measured any of my equipment. I guess I should also make sure that I have a place inside for my sub woolfer