Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Squaring boxes/drawers/etc.

Squaring boxes/drawers/etc.

I thought I might share one of my home-made tools that's been seeing a lot of action lately in the shop...

When building a box, drawer, etc., I used to take out a tape measure to measure the diagonals to make sure the box/drawer/etc., was square. Well, I was never happy with the loss of accuracy caused by holding the end of a tape measure on a point. My measurement depended on exactly 'where' on the corner I held the tape...and whether or not I held the tape in 'exactly' the same spot on the opposite corner.

Lee Valley sells 'tape tips' to help improve the accuracy. But my solution is easier, and cheaper.

I think my solution is a bit more accurate, since it uses the inside of the corners to FORCE accuracy. I call these things 'trammels', but looking on some of the sites, all I see are 'beam trammels' that are used to mark out large circles/elipses. So perhaps I'm wrong in what I'm calling them...

Anyway, here are the ones I've been using for the past week or so:

Attachment 13074 .......... Attachment 13075

The two long ones on the left I made about 5-6 years ago. I found a need for a smaller one yesterday, so in about 10 minutes I had a new one!

As you can see, they're simply two strips of hardwood, with a 1/4" slot routed up the middle...a pair of 1/4-20 bolts with wing nuts...and greater than 45 degree angles milled on either end.

To use them, loosen the wingnuts, place inside the box/drawer/etc., and spread til the two corners touch the inside corners of the box. Lock the wingnuts and turn the device around to check the opposite corners of the box.

I find I can get something DEAD square using these things...as opposed to "awful close to square" using a tape measure.

Oh, and guess what the new one was made from yesterday...Yup, white oak flooring culls!

Off to the shop...
    - Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Those look great Marty, thanks.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Great idea, Marty. I'm still trying to figure out how I'd get one of them inside a hollow form on the lathe.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Kewl tool....

Marty,
    Nice tools - and of course another crafty use of oak flooring scraps!

Lee Valley also makes something similar, or at least the hardware for it. They call them Bar Gauge Heads:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,32585&p=32585

and they make up a gauge very similar to yours. Of course, they cost a bit more than your carriage bolts and wing nuts...

I've had a set of them for maybe five or six years now, and have fount them very useful.
    Last edited by Jim DeLaney; 09-30-2007 at 09:10 PM.
    Jim D.

Hi Marty,
    Well done and I can see it's effective accuracy. That is important, if square is important.......
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Jim DeLaney View Post
    Marty,
    Nice tools - and of course another crafty use of oak flooring scraps!

Lee Valley also makes something similar, or at least the hardware for it. They call them Bar Gauge Heads:

http://www.leevalley.com/wood/page.a...,32585&p=32585

and they make up a gauge very similar to yours. Of course, they cost a bit more than your carriage bolts and wing nuts...

I've had a set of them for maybe five or six years now, and have fount them very useful.
    Jim,

I thought I'd seen something like my little gizmo before, but I couldn't find it. Thanks for pointing those out to me. Same principal, and just as effective. Although, I like mine better...since they cost me nothing and used up more of that leftover flooring!

- Marty -
    Fivebraids, Inc.
    When you earnestly believe you can compensate for a lack of skill by doubling your efforts, there’s no end to what you can’t do…

Marty,

Thats a great simple little idea!
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Tis a "Simple " solution to a problem.. Problem is only simple when you know the answer....
    they sell a device to clamp to the corners to assure a square fit, and then they suggest a measurement across the corners to determine the squareness and your simple solution is a good idea. I use the same device to measure and set the alignment of Model T wheels... A preset side dimension device is great and you have devised another use for the measureing "stick" thanks for posting the thought and idea....

Hey Marty, those are pretty fancy. My Dad always measured the inside corners too , but he used a folding wood rule. I tried the folding wood rule, but somehow always managed to have a bow in it on one measurement and not on the other diagonal, so I used two free advertising yardsticks and clamped them together with those large paper clips that you fold out the little wire handles and press to open. I finally made a better one and although not as pretty as yours, it was the same except that I beveled the end of each one from the outside to the other edge on each end which gave me a straight line from point to point since the longest part of the points were on the inside of each wood strip. I've got to make a couple of new ones though, because something kinda fell over on mine and broke it. They sure work better than any other method I've ever used, (for me at least).