View Poll Results: Do you use SketchUp and if so, how comfortable are you with it?

Voters
57. You may not vote on this poll
  • Nope

6 10.53%
  • I have the icon on my desktop but I don't know why.

4 7.02%
  • I poke and prod at it but that's about all.

13 22.81%
  • I use it sometimes and have some luck.

17 29.82%
  • I use it frequently but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

13 22.81%
  • Move over Richards. Let me show you how its done.

4 7.02%
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SketchUp Poll

SketchUp Poll

Greg Cook suggested that I put together a poll to see how many members we have who are using SketchUp and how proficient you all are. I think it's a great idea. I'd like to know what level my audience is at so I make sure I'm not rehashing old stuff nor going over anyone's heads.

If you care to make comments that would be fine. If not that's alright, too.
    Irony: The opposite of Wrinkly

My preferred option: "I use it more and more, but hey, I've got a day job so I'm only learning so fast..."

I use it sometimes and have some luck.

After many frustrations, a couple weeks ago I bought the SketchUp for Dummies book. I must be a dummy because it worked for me. After reading the first three chapters plus parts of others I've picked it up fairly quickly. Here's a concept for a computer desk I'm working on ..............

Tony, BCE '75

I noticed on Amazon they just released a new book Wiley Pathways Introduction to Google SketchUp by Aidan Chopra, the same guy who authored the for dummies book. Anybody seen it and is it worth $45 ?? ($45 for a GOOD book doesn't bother me, $45 for a mediocre / bad book does).

Tony, BCE '75

Dave,

Funny you should ask. I spent two hours this morning trying to relearn what little I once knew. Even downloaded your template. I know there's something out there with a bunch of add-ons specifically for woodworkers, but couldn't find it...

Too bad there's not a question that says "I keep trying to learn, even if I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet..."

Thanks,

Bill

Played with it several times, get lost..............then for speed I go to my old standby

Pencil, paper, calucator.

WoodWorking, Crappie Fishing, Colts, Life is good!

I recently started using it after having it sit for quite some time. Why you ask? Because my old laptop went "poof" and took an old copy of IntelliCAD with it. So rather than spend big $$ for CAD, I figured I better learn SketchUp.

My only frustration is the time it takes. After using AutoCAD/IntelliCAD for over 20 years hunting for basic commands is unnatural.

So Dave, any tutorials or help you post will be greatly appreciated!

Wes

I've opened it and poked around...but not much more. I'm amazed at what others can do with it, especially ones who really know it...(Dave? ) I figured I need some help I can get in between projects (and weather breaks) so I ordered the Dummies book. I't waiting for me at my consulting site, and I should pick it up on Wednesday.

I really appreciate the help and other posts Dave has made here, and his offer to help anytime.

Thanks, Dave

I'm still trying to work with it Dave. Not much luck so far. I do want to learn to use it though. It would be so helpful in designing and laying out projects.

Karl

I think your poll is flawed. I am somewhere between move over Dave and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. But I voted for the latter.

Thanks to Dave I am getting pretty comfortable with SketchUp. Once I learned some basics the rest is coming together.
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits