SketchUp Poll

Do you use SketchUp and if so, how comfortable are you with it?

• Nope

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • I have the icon on my desktop but I don't know why.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I poke and prod at it but that's about all.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I use it sometimes and have some luck.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • I use it frequently but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Move over Richards. Let me show you how its done.

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Dave Richards

Greg Cook suggested that I put together a poll to see how many members we have who are using SketchUp and how proficient you all are. I think it's a great idea. I'd like to know what level my audience is at so I make sure I'm not rehashing old stuff nor going over anyone's heads.

If you care to make comments that would be fine. If not that's alright, too.

I use it sometimes and have some luck.

After many frustrations, a couple weeks ago I bought the SketchUp for Dummies book. I must be a dummy because it worked for me. After reading the first three chapters plus parts of others I've picked it up fairly quickly. Here's a concept for a computer desk I'm working on ..............

Attachments

• Computer Room (607 x 431).jpg
    Computer Room (607 x 431).jpg
    40.2 KB · Views: 36
I noticed on Amazon they just released a new book Wiley Pathways Introduction to Google SketchUp by Aidan Chopra, the same guy who authored the for dummies book. Anybody seen it and is it worth $45 ?? ($45 for a GOOD book doesn't bother me, $45 for a mediocre / bad book does).

Dave,

Funny you should ask. I spent two hours this morning trying to relearn what little I once knew. Even downloaded your template. I know there's something out there with a bunch of add-ons specifically for woodworkers, but couldn't find it...

Too bad there's not a question that says "I keep trying to learn, even if I haven't quite gotten the hang of it yet..." ;)

Thanks,

Bill

Played with it several times, get lost..............then for speed I go to my old standby

Pencil, paper, calucator.
:bang:

I recently started using it after having it sit for quite some time. Why you ask? Because my old laptop went "poof" and took an old copy of IntelliCAD with it.:rolleyes: So rather than spend big $$ for CAD, I figured I better learn SketchUp.:D

My only frustration is the time it takes. After using AutoCAD/IntelliCAD for over 20 years hunting for basic commands is unnatural.

So Dave, any tutorials or help you post will be greatly appreciated!

Wes

I've opened it and poked around...but not much more. I'm amazed at what others can do with it, especially ones who really know it...(Dave? :rofl:) I figured I need some help I can get in between projects (and weather breaks) so I ordered the Dummies book. I't waiting for me at my consulting site, and I should pick it up on Wednesday.

I really appreciate the help and other posts Dave has made here, and his offer to help anytime. :thumb::bow:

Thanks, Dave :clap:

I think your poll is flawed. :huh: I am somewhere between move over Dave and I'm not sure I'm doing it right. But I voted for the latter.

Thanks to Dave I am getting pretty comfortable with SketchUp. Once I learned some basics the rest is coming together.

I answered that I use it frequently, but I'm actually somewhere between that choice and the one above (sometimes I use it and have some luck). I haven't had a lot of need for it, but the times I have needed it, it sure came in handy. I'm pretty comfortable with most of the basics, and can usually get the results I'm looking for, even if I have to do it the long way. I have a TON yet to learn.

I also really appreciate the help Dave has provided (and the help of others, too).

I too have some luck with it, but not enough time to fool with it :doh:

A book might help, I find I learn better from books than online tutorials, for most of the basic stuff, plus, I can read the book when I'm not near a computer.

Dave, is there a book that you would recommend?

Thanks to one and all, especially Dave, for the help in using this great tool!

Cheers!

Thanks for the responses and the compliments gang. To whomever clicked the last option, please feel free to jump in and do some tutorials. We need more of that.

Stu, as far as books go, the only ones I'm aware of are the Dummies book--which I think makes a good reference but isn't a tutorial sort of thng--and the series by Bonnie Roskes. The latter is quite expensive and seems to be in and out of print but you can probably find them somewhere.

hi dave, i`m one of those who has downloaded the free version,[last week], who knows nothing....maybe i`ll try poking around this week, time permitting:eek:

I'm sure I'd enjoy using it, but it is beyond me right now, time wise. My biggest frustration is one of scale, I've downloaded your template Dave, but still have only managed basic shapes. Eventually I may invest in the dummies book, or pepper you with questions here. :rolleyes:

Dave, I agree with Jeff Horton that your poll is flawed, but unlike him, I picked the move over Dave option, even though I know that I am nowhere near as familiar with SketchUp as you.

I mean, I even ask you for help from time to time, so I guess thats where I stand.

As for doing tutorials, I've thought about it, but then I decided against it figuring that I'd try one only to have you come along and show us a better way of doing what I am trying to teach everybody.:rolleyes:

Ok gang. Sorry for the flawed poll. Who's the poll ninja around here anyway? :dunno: Maybe they could fix it or do a tutorial on how to do polls.

Allen, go ahead, do those tutorials. I'll only show a different way if you want me to and there if is one.

Poll Ninjas? Maybe you should write a question to ask a Ninja and he can make a tutorial for you.

Seriously though Dave, its not that I am insecure that you'd be able to do something a better way, but its that, you are the man when it comes to doing those tutorials, so my efforts would be wasted, when I find out that the tutorial I made isn't the best way to do something.

That said, I will put in some thought to it, and see what I can do to help take some of the burden off of you, as now that I typed what I did, I realized that I have been leaving you with all the work, when I probably could have been a little more helpful as far as those things go.

How about, if I make any tutorials, I can run them all by you first to see if I should make any changes before posting them?

SketchUp does have some steep learning curves for beginners. Luckily I already stumbled over/through the moving around in 3D thing and now can get where I intended to go relatively easy. The reference planes are a given, it's wading through "who does what best when" commands.:D

So some empathy for you guys and gals looking at this thing for the first time. It is hard to remember the days when I wished I could reach into the monitor to move something.:( Once you get comfortable moving around in "space", things do become much easier.

I'm currently working from a set of drawings and I'm creating a prototype in SketchUp. I find it's a very good exercise and helping both learning the logistics of the program and improving my speed. I'll post the finished construction when - if ever - I get it done.

Wes