SketchUp Poll

Do you use SketchUp and if so, how comfortable are you with it?

• Nope

Votes: 6 10.9%
  • I have the icon on my desktop but I don't know why.

Votes: 4 7.3%
  • I poke and prod at it but that's about all.

Votes: 12 21.8%
  • I use it sometimes and have some luck.

Votes: 16 29.1%
  • I use it frequently but I'm not sure I'm doing it right.

Votes: 13 23.6%
  • Move over Richards. Let me show you how its done.

Votes: 4 7.3%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I printed out the free 300-page-plus manual on the SketchUp site and had Kinkos bind it with spiral binding in two volumes. With patience, most of what you need to know is in there.

I suspect most folks are like myself . . . wanting so much to start cutting wood, they don't have the patience to first create the project in a rendering. When I DO have that patience, I find that my project turns out far better with many less mistakes. In the long run, using SketchUp first is the short run!

being new to woodworking the sketchup program would be a life saver. i designed my first project flat on paper and didn't have a clue how it was going to fit together. i made lots of mistakes on the correct sizes because i didn't allow for thickness ect. i have been trying to use it but i am struggling. i can see the potential of the program if i can just get it to do what i want. the article in finewoodworking that just came helped a little. i don't really understand the need for the template. i just hit new and start drawing. i to am planning on dropping by the book store and looking at the for dummies book.

I find it fascinating with just push and pull. :D Wish we could put together a once a week class for the beginners, maybe for one hour on line with tutorial, questions and homework or whatever in order to get a larger number of folks to a more challenging place for you Dave. It is a great program, ( I see the potential) and appreciate your patience.
Shaz