Got some turnings off the lathe this week

Alex Reid

Got a few turnings off the lathe this week.

Maple Burl Bowl
bowl1.1.jpg

bowl1.2.jpg

bowl1.3.jpg

Figured Maple Bowl
bowl2.1.jpg

bowl2.2.jpg

bowl2.3.jpg

This platter looks like maple burl but it isn't. It had a very spicy smell when I turned it. The seller I bought it from told me it is marble wood. A search for this species indicated this is not a species name but a reference to the burl. Soooo
plate1.1.jpg

plate1.2.jpg

plate1.3.jpg

And the last one is not really a turned piece but thought I would throw it in for good measure. It's a nameplate for our house. The Mandarin Ducks were done by my good wife and the lettering by yours truly. Symbolism abounds; the mandarin ducks mate for life, the reeds stand for, well my name in pronuciation and of course the water fowl habitat and finally the light green reed represents my daughter - stay with me on this folks - whose name Nina means new leaf in Japanese.
nameplate.jpg

Thanks for looking and sorry for the long post.

Alex,

So there I was, all drugged out from dental surgery, and out of habit I clicked on those pictures. At first, I thought I was dreaming. I even told Doorlink I must be hallucinating... ;) Things that cool could only exist in an alternate reality...

Now that I am (relatively) sober, all I can say is: those are some of the most beautiful pieces I've seen in a long time!

Thanks,

Bill

Thanks all for the comments. I like to say good cooking starts with fine ingredients. And yet it always seems like I don't do enough so I'm trying to get my nose to the grindstone and do more.