First bowl

Jay Lock

Well, it is with some trepidation that I post this, considering all the wonderful stuff I've seen here, but I've got to start some where.

In August LOML and I packed the car and started roaming, got to Atlanta as mentioned in this thread

http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=4998

Took a one day turning workshop. Here is the result, time didn't allow me to finish sand or finish, (as you can see from some of the tooling marks -- I don't even remember if I got to use a scraper on it) so now I guess I've got some handwork in front of me.

I do have a spinny thing on order, not here yet and I am sure it will take a bit to get it set up. Don't know how I'm going to be able to attach this (jam chuck for outside?) but how do I finish the inside?

I think its maple, 7" dia, 1 5/8 deep

Thoughts, comments, criticism and guidance deeply appreciated!

Jay

Last edited:
Congrats, Jay! You've been bit by the bug. Those classes get ya every time!

Neat classroom bowl. My classroom bowl came home in multiple pieces! The instructor said "Here, let me clean that up for you!"

Kaboom!! :eek:

No need for trepidation, Jay. That's a better first bowl than many of us here have made. We've nearly all been in the same position. I think your bowl came out great so far. :thumb:

To finish the inside, I suspect you could use a donut chuck. It would be a little odd, since you'd be working inside the donut itself, but I think it'd be doable.

EXCELLENT! Thats better than the bowl I did today:rolleyes:.

Congrats on the recent lathe order. You might as well count your money now as it'll be the last time you have any:rofl:

1st, eh??????? Dang.
slider_hi5.gif

Way to go Jay! :clap:

You can also finish it by hand sanding it, or putting the power sanding deal in a chuck on your lathe, then moving the bowl around the sanding head.

Anyways, great first effort, looks like it would hold a bit of ice cream or some M&Ms :thumb:

Sign and date it!

Jay, simply put..............there isn't anything wrong with that! :thumb: Nice effort for your first bowl. That is not the easiest form to achieve either, which makes your bowl a VERY good first! (Just so ya know, my first bowl was........uh.........never mind!) ;)

Frank

You're not the first to mention that! Maybe I should put it in the "Church of the Woodshop" and take collections to fund future wood purchases! :D

Jay

PS just got a call from the freight company, lathe arrives tomorrow, I better get cracking on a stand!

Keith

It is supposed to show up tomorrow, but then it was supposed to show up on Friday :(

So we'll see!

Jay

Last edited: