A bowl and a vase

Jeff Bower

The first one is a vase from a piece of spalted hackberry my dad gave me this past weekend. 6.5" H X 6.5" W. The second is sort of a NE from what I think sycamore that I found along the side of the road. 4.5"H X 7"W. Both finished with 2 coats of Minwax toungue oil finished. I think the hackberry vase needs more of a gloss finished? Comments and critques incouraged. Jeff

Attachments

• Bowl 15 KS Hackberry.jpg
    Bowl 15 KS Hackberry.jpg
    45.2 KB · Views: 44
  • Bowl 13 IA Sycamore.jpg
    Bowl 13 IA Sycamore.jpg
    44.4 KB · Views: 33
Thanks everyone. I wish I had a better camera/photography talent as the hackberry does have some great spalting...my dad has a whole tree worth of it, but I only took one smaller log:doh: Although he is bringing more at the end of the month when my parents visit.:D

It is also my first end grain bowl, and I have to say is it harder to get a smooth finish. I forgot while sanding it on the lathethat the grain was not the same as a cross cut bowl. I spent more time hand sanding than I ever have on a bowl.

Great job on both pieces, Jeff. :thumb: I've seen spalted, and I've seen SPALTED, but that hackberry is SPALTED! And I like the fact that you turned it end grain, so the spalt lines run vertically.

Thanks again for all the replies. I have one piece left that I plan on doing another end grain vase out of this weekend. It also has a small crotch to it. I'm hoping the spalting goes wild thru it! I will post pics when it's done.