octagon kitchen almost done.....update

Chris Mire

here is a kitchen i am working on, almost done. actually today i got even closer than these pics. but my post from last night got lost, no biggee, anyway, this was an interesting job, somewhat challenging due to the angles, but thanks to autocad i got er done without too much trouble. i opted to bring the upper cabs all the way into the corners instead of building them square and having dead space.

one problem was with the fridge, i didn't think about the drawers next to it, well they won't open unless the fridge is 30" deep or less, standard is 33 ...ooops the builders are being very understanding since this is the first octagon kitchen for us both.

the last pic is a vanity we did that hangs 8" above the floor. don't worry there are 16 4" screws in that things, 10 across the back and 3 on each side.

more pics when it's done next week.

IMG_2229.JPG

IMG_2230.JPG

IMG_2231.JPG

IMG_2233.JPG

chris

Last edited:
That's looking great, Chris.

It certainly must have been a tricky one!

one problem was with the fridge, i didn't think about the drawers next to it, well they won't open unless the fridge is 30" deep or less, standard is 33 ...ooops the builders are being very understanding since this is the first octagon kitchen for us both. chris

How the heck are getting round this?

Letting the fridge into the wall? I presume its just a stud wall.

I know just what it's like. A couple of times I've had drawers in 90 degree corners running beautifully past each other...

... until I install the pulls!

Man, I wouldn't even know where to begin making a set of cabinets to fit that space. You did a great job, especially for going into new territory. :thumb:

thanks vaughn...i owe it all to autocad, it makes everything easy. sketchup would work too.

thanks duncan, as for the fridge, i forgot to mention, the builder usually doesn't supply a fridge for this level house (spec home) but they will this time because it will need to be counter depth. they found one for a good price.
they understand, because they own a finish trim business as well so they know what it's like when things happen.

chris

Hi Chris :wave:,
I think your kitchen is looking really good. The learning you are being paid for is most valuable, depending on how much you retain. I realize people have paid me to learn even when they did not know it. :D
The more you retain, from your experiences, the books, the tv shows, and the forums, will be directly proportionate to the speed at which you will improve, I think:).
You tackled a tough one there and are coming out the winner. Congratulations Chris!:thumb:
Don't forget to put the cleats in the corners against the wall like you had planned and too fill the V shape with a scrap piece of ply, nothing fancy just holds the the cabinets together and affords a solid surface for any joint that might occur now or down the road. You probably have that all done by now.
Nice suspension on that vanity!
Shaz

this job has been done for quite some time, but the builder put it in the parade of homes and it sold so i wanted to get pics of the final before the new owners took over. this job got me another job, another couple wants the exact same thing.

DSC_1416.JPG

DSC_1417.JPG

DSC_1419.JPG

DSC_1420.JPG

DSC_1422.JPG

DSC_1424.JPG

thanks for lookin
chris

Very nice work Chris, a few style thing I'd not want, like the fake (?) brick wall in the kitchen, or the sinks sitting on top of the counters, (I've never liked those) but, like I said, those are styling thing, nothing against your fine workmanship, I'd say that fact that you are getting more work based on the quality of your work says it all! :thumb:

thanks stu,

i did only the cabinets, and i agree the brick is not right in this kitchen. by the way it is real, thin slices of old salvaged brick.

i do like the look of the vessel sinks, but not the functional aspect.

thanks
chris