Red Mallee Burl bowl - first posted pic

doug mcginnis

I've been working with Austrailian burls lately. I'm about done with a brown mallee bowl as well.
Here are two recents. A bowl and a free form plate I think. :)

Attachments

• redmallee bowl.JPG
    redmallee bowl.JPG
    30 KB · Views: 56
  • red mallee plate.JPG
    red mallee plate.JPG
    23.3 KB · Views: 50
Welcome to the clubhouse, Doug. :wave: Nice looking stuff. What finish did you use?

I'm hoping to try turning some Aussie burl pieces...I missed one the other day on eBay that went for more than I was willing to pay.

Goodness, those are REALLY nice!

How well did they turn?

I've heard that a some of the Aussie hardwoods are HARD WOOD!

Thanks for sharing! :wave:

THX for all the kind words. I used several applications of a simple urethane. I sanded between coats with 400 grit and progressed to micromesh.
The burls turned well. They are hard; however, with sharp tools I had no issues.
I found these blanks at woodturningz.com ( I hope I can post that) I think he has something like 10,000 lbs of the stuff --red mallee, brown mallee and coolibah burls. The guys web site is hit and miss. I think calling him is the best way.
I have watched with anticipation the wonderful projects you all submit. I think this is a great place to learn and contribute.

Thanks for the extra info Doug!

Yes you can post links to sites like that, the only caveat would be if one had some sort of connection or financial interest in said site, then we would want one to post in the "Commercial Post Zone" is all.

Cheers!