Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: FINALLY !! i can get started turning

Smile FINALLY !! i can get started turning

Hey folks, it's been a long time coming but the day has finally arrived! Sold my house, waited a month to move into my winter rental which is a 'little cottage by the sea', and now I can begin my new hobby. I was orginally going to purchase a full size lathe but because of space limits in my little cottage ( I couldn't wait any longer to get started) I went with a mini lathe for now. I went to our local Rockler store and they fixed me up with a mini Jet Variable speed, with a stand, bed extension w/stand, and all kinds of fun stuff. Of course by the time I walked out of there I was in sticker shock and since then Grizz keeps adding to the list of all the things I still need to get but I think I've got a good start. I'll take a picture of all the smaller stuff later on when my order comes in from Lee Valley with some more fun stuff, but for now here are some pics of my new baby along with my drill press and a really nice stand that Grizz made for the drill press.... he got to use his new dovetail jig to make the drawer. I haven't actually made anything yet but I have been playing around and just getting the feel for it. Since I am new to any kind of woodworking I am both very excited and a little timid. Hopefully within the next week or so I can show off something I made whether it be a keeper or something for the scrape pile it will be my first attempt! I also got some pen blanks in the mail this week to start on.

p.s. i have to resize the DP picture , that will follow soon
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails bed extension and all.JPG   in it's cradle.JPG   woohoo! put together.JPG   pen blanks 1.jpg   pen blanks 2.jpg  

drill press on top of new stand.JPG  
    Last edited by Joan Keeler; 10-06-2007 at 04:34 AM. Reason: to add DP picture

Woo hoo! You're set to Jet, girl! Congrats on finally getting your toys set up and ready to play with. Rest assured, that first piece will indeed be a keeper, regardless of how it looks.
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Wow! Very, very cool. There's nothing like a new lathe to expand possibilities!

Can't wait to see that floor covered in shavings!

Thanks,

Bill

Thumbs up

Lookin' Good!

Never fear; the initial sticker shock will fade over time ... especially when it's overshadowed by additional sticker shocks as you pick up a(nother?) chuck, a new tool or two, a very nice piece of wood ... and so on.

I'm excited for you ... Enjoy!

Hey Guys, we got another one!!

Great looking set up Joan, I'm sure you will be making a fine mess with that set up.

If you invest in good equipment, the initial sticker shock is there for sure, but down the road, you will appreciate the quality of the stuff you have invested in.

Those pen blanks sure look nice.

Can't wait to see what you turn out
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Congrats on the new toys Joan.

The dark side has claimed another one.

Chuck

Joan

Looks great. Don't worry, you're not alone I'm slipping down the slope right behind you -- waiting for my lathe to arrive next week

Jay

Welcome to the dark spinning side of FWW Can't wait to see your first work of art!

Just like a "girl" to go and put curtains in the shop!

Congrats on the new setup. Keep those pics of the nice clean work area, it'll never be the same once you fire up that Jet.

Quote Originally Posted by Curt Fuller View Post
    Just like a "girl" to go and put curtains in the shop!

Congrats on the new setup. Keep those pics of the nice clean work area, it'll never be the same once you fire up that Jet.
    I have to say, I did not even NOTICE the curtains, I was looking at the new tools!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward