SKETCHUP Template

Great idea, and thanks. I'll check it out this evening. I'm curious to see how close I was when I setup my default template.

My pleasure guys. BTW, I'm just trying to generate a little conformity here. You vill do it my vay und you vill like it. :rofl:

Actually, I think it might be easier for some problem solving if we're starting from the same point. I would fully expect users to make changes as they see fit and as they go along.

here is a thought DREAM SHOP

well dave i can see that you have definalty got a handle on sketchup. so here is my thought,, i am in the plannin stages of a shop upgrade, have tried the old way of using graph paper and parts drawn out for spacing. but its very rough.. so here my list of specs and perhaps you ar any others could play with this parmenters and design me a working sketch up pic that had some of normalliteis i it..
size 32 x40
gable end is 32.
9 or10 ft sidewalls.
wood floor
cabinet saw
RAS w mitr saw on same bench
shaper
router table
bandsaws 14" 18"
30"drum sander
bench model disc-belt combo-spindle
wood storage 12x12 area
sheet goods 2x8 area
finishing room 10x12 or larger. that would about make the most of the best world!! now folks play with the layout and make it work well thanks and wont cost any of you a dime:) cant wait to see what it looks like.

Larry, I'll give it a go when I get finished with the Boothbay Harbor project. I'm not sure when that will be but hopefully soon. In the meantime, you should also give it a try. ;)

Larry, you can download 3D models of a number of different woodshop tools here: http://www.yda-online.com/shopmodels.htm Many of the tools include infeed and outfeed zones to give an idea of how much space you might need.

As far as drawing a floor plan, yes, you can do that. You can just start drawing it in the perspective view or you can turn off perspective under the Camera menu and switch to a top view so you are working as you would in a 2D CAD program.

Draw the lines for the walls and add gaps for doors as needed. If you want to make it a 3D model you can pull up the walls after completing the outlines. Or you can forego the 3D altogether if you want.

As far as drawing a floor plan, yes, you can do that. You can just start drawing it in the perspective view or you can turn off perspective under the Camera menu and switch to a top view so you are working as you would in a 2D CAD program.

Once again I learn something from the master of SU. Thanks. This will make laying out my new shop a lot easier.

I downloaded Google SU and played with it for about 5 minutes and haven't opened it back up again. I need some time to play in it and see all that it will do. Your down load sounds like a great addiditon. Thanks!! Jim.

My pleasure guys. BTW, I'm just trying to generate a little conformity here. You vill do it my vay und you vill like it. :rofl:

Actually, I think it might be easier for some problem solving if we're starting from the same point. I would fully expect users to make changes as they see fit and as they go along.

I back Dave up on this totally. Just knowing the frustration of trying to help friends and family with computer related things when one has Linux, one has Windows but runs Firefox. etc. We can all make Dave's life easier and benefit more from his generosity if "Vee do eet hiz vay, und lyke eet".

i just downl loaded sketchup 6 and i was going thru the tutorial. i can't find how you turn on the function that shows you the measurements . it says there is a box you can type into but i can't figure it out. i guess i'm not very computer literate. help? thanks

still lost

I think I need the book for dummies.. I have only spent a litle time with SU, and all I can seem to do is draw lines that connect every time I click the mouse..??
Looks like a big ech a sketch when I am done..:huh:

I can't sem to get my head around it..:dunno:

Doug