Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Auuuuuugh! *first slide down the slope*

Auuuuuugh! *first slide down the slope*

I stopped over to visit Mark today. and low and behold I took my first turn at turning. Mark chucked up a 4x4 piece of fir, which we rounded off, then he proceeded to show me how one has a catch, then how to rechuck it and have another catch.

About that point, I said I would be fine watching awhile, but if I could turn some cherry I had brought along, I'd enjoy it. SO, mark cut the cherry into a pair of manageable blanks on his bandsaw handed them to me and let me do my 'worst'.

well I managed to get a small doric column looking piece for my first attempt, then a similar piece for the second.

About that time I wondered aloud what turning wet wood was like, and since Mark has all of that maple, we carved up a piece which had split already, and I put that between centers and made an object d'art.

Mark has photos of me actually turning, but he's still working in his shop, so here are a couple of quick shots on the kitchen table here at home.

there's the maple thing, which had a little issue on one end. I decided to keep it just like that, and someday make something bigger and better. I was just playing around with a gouge or two, a scraper and a skew.

I signed and dated the First piece of course. just 'cause.
    -Ned

Stick a fork in him, turn him over, HE'S DONE!!!
    Randy,

Maker of Fine Lathe Tools & Accessories.

And awaaaaaaaay he gooooooooes!

Ned...........Congrats! Can you spell BROKE? NO?....You'll learn how! The hard way............Welcome to the Vortex.......Closest thing to instant gratification and instant poverty.....all in the same stroke!

Ned, Ned, Ned,

Stop that this instant! You need to finish your shop before you actually turn something! Otherwise, it'll never get done, and you'll be out turning in the snow!

Hope you've got a snow shovel...

Thanks,

Bill

You'd better get two snow shovels - one for snow and the other for turning shavings!

Here are the pics of Ned dirtying up my shop and showing off his pieces.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ned.first.working.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	33.0 KB 
ID:	13200

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Ned.first.work.JPG 
Views:	32 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	13199

Ned, thanks for coming over and playing with my new toy so that I could focus on shop organization!

Ned,

There are only 3 shapes in woodturning (flat, cove and bead). You have made all of them in your first attempt. Time to start lathe shopping...
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Ned, I'd say you are hooked............

hey Ken, we got another one!!

BTW, that white one, that is one fine "Bonker"

Yep, you are done!!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Quote Originally Posted by Chris Barton View Post
    Ned,

There are only 3 shapes in woodturning (flat, cove and bead). You have made all of them in your first attempt. Time to start lathe shopping...
    Chris,
    I'll have to hold off a bit, I think whichever lathe I wind up purchasing, will be in better shape if I have a roof over the shop. That being said, I'm leaning towards a Rikon mini, or If I can find a deal such as Mark did a Jet or Delta. I've already got some turning tools, just need a better set of wheels for my benchtop grinder, a Wovie jig etc... yep, I'm right there on the precipice of the slope all righty.

I can see many hours spent searching for that point when the long curls of shavings just hiss off of the workpiece. I found it a few times when I was turning the Bonker, amazing how much fun that was!

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Ned, I'd say you are hooked............

hey Ken, we got another one!!

BTW, that white one, that is one fine "Bonker"

Yep, you are done!!
    Bonker, eh? didn't realize it would qualify as such.

oh yeah, that Zen moment when the shavings go hissss and piled up on my hand, arm, shoulder was magical. I can see it now, until I get my shop done, I'll just go visit Mark.

huh? what, that still dripping tree limb? oh, I just found that on my way over, it's just dunno wood.
    -Ned

Oh, oh Ned don't step on the banana peel cause the slope is about to get you. You are on the way. I have the Rikon and love it. I think Woodcraft has them on sale till the end of the month for $199.
    Bernie W.

Retirement: Thats when you return from work one day
    and say, Hi, Honey, Im home forever.

To succeed in life, you need three things: a wishbone, a backbone and a funnybone.