Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: lets see your bench shots this weekend

lets see your bench shots this weekend

hi all,

haven't posted much lately but i have been a wee bit busy.

i guess i will let the pics speak for themselves for the most part. all case parts (except the back) are cherry, the same is true for door rail and stile parts. the door fields will be veneered with red gum on the inside and i found some real nice waterfall figured bubbinga veneer for the outside fields. and the space in the middle of the cabinet will be drawers with either bubbinga or cherry faces. i am still working out the details for the legs. originally there were going to be like upside down T's with mortise and tennon joints holding the two parts together. the long part of the T i think is going to have a long slot in the middle to raise and lower the case itself in the legs . ( picture an old style school room portable chalk board)

does anyone have a better idea for this ? this tool case is for joan for her new lathe tools, full size sorby's and micro sorby's too plus a oneway chuck, and a few goodies i will donate to the cause that she doesn't know about yet ok so she will soon after seeing this . but she wont see the doors or other details until i deliver it. hmmmmm maybe i should have her turn the legs for it that would be a fun first project for her new toy

ok after seeing the pictures you get the idea i hope. big tools on the left , little tools on the bottom right , and a bank of drawers in the middle for diffrent sanding disk grits and micromesh paper in diffrent grits.

everything is ready to go in the vacuum press in the morning. its my dad in laws birthday party tommorrow so probably not much shop time . the press will have lots of time to do its thing

ok so you see what i am up to, now lets see what your working on
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails clamped dry fit case.jpg   door rail and stile parts 2.jpg   veneer for inside of doors.jpg   all ready for vacuum press.jpg   cabinet start 4.jpg  

main case body.jpg  
    what are you building today ??

GRIZZLY

VERY nice Griz, I'm sure that Joan will be thrilled, I certainly would be!

I might get a chance to make some interesting firewood tonight, but I'm just dropping in the house for a few, picking up daughter #2 to go back to the exhibition hall where daughter #1 is in a flower arranging exposition, got to head back out there and take some pics and video (we forgot BOTH cameras )

Looks great!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Very nice Jim are there plans of putting items like chucks & such in the drawer too. The reason I ask this question is the drawer seem a little deep for just turning tools?

I am planning to build a new base for my lathe with 1 or 2 deep drawers at the bottom of the lathe for lathe chucks & the bigger items that are used for this hobby. The other drawers will be shallower for the turning tools & the tools will be with the cutting tips forward in the drawer with the steel setting on a magnetic bar so the working end is in view when the drawer is opened.

Another thought is to mount the tools this way on a board that will just lay in the drawer.
    "Forget the flat stuff slap something on the spinny thing and lets go, we're burning daylight" Bart Leetch
    "If it ain't round you may be a knuckle dragger""Turners drag their nuckles too, they just do it at a higher RPM"Bart

Quote Originally Posted by Bart Leetch View Post
    Very nice Jim are there plans of putting items like chucks & such in the drawer too. The reason I ask this question is the drawer seem a little deep for just turning tools?

I am planning to build a new base for my lathe with 1 or 2 deep drawers at the bottom of the lathe for lathe chucks & the bigger items that are used for this hobby. The other drawers will be shallower for the turning tools & the tools will be with the cutting tips forward in the drawer with the steel setting on a magnetic bar so the working end is in view when the drawer is opened.

Another thought is to mount the tools this way on a board that will just lay in the drawer.
    hi bart

no laying tools down in this case, its ony about 4 3/4" deep. the tools will stand on the end of the handle, with a wooden holder of some sort to encase the buissiness end of the tool. the drawers are just to hold sanding disks, paper, micromesh, small stuff. because the drawers are only going to be about 3x6 inside the drawer box itself. ok thats it for now i am on my way out to make some wood and glue sandwiches in the vacuum press and then its birthday time for dad

GRIZZLY

Got the two benches glued up. Only need the corner braces made up and screwed on and it's ready for finish.Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_4190.JPG 
Views:	40 
Size:	57.4 KB 
ID:	13254
    hobby woodworking since 1972

Not a bench shot per se', but it is my latest project and to big to fit on the bench. Walnut wine cabinet. My sisters Christmas present.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	assy1.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	64.7 KB 
ID:	13255
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

I was deep in shop 're-wiring-land' so my bench was more of a scaffold than a bench this weekend. I'll post a couple shots tonight. (I know . . . weak).
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

technically that's Mark's bench, but that is me woodworking on it, er, turning at it. Does that count?
    -Ned

ok ned

well yeah it counts !! maybe a little unusual but what the hey ......

considering your your current open air shop , its probably not the best place to be working at the moment due to our weather the last few days

GRIZZLY

Quote Originally Posted by jim capozzi View Post
    considering your your current open air shop , its probably not the best place to be working at the moment due to our weather the last few days
    Think of all the money Ned would save by using raw lightning to power his shop! And why waste all that transmission loss from Niagara Falls when we have a nice source of hydropower in the backyard!

I've posted pics of what I made this weekend elsewhere, but will attempt to add the attachment codes here as an exercise.

I put up some pegboard and made a turning tool rack - I can see my bench now!

Attachment 13189

I also got my planer stand to a point where I can take the planer off of my bench for more bench space.

Attachment 13198

Hmmm... I can click on the links to see the pics (that were embedded in prior posts - I just copied the ATTACHMENT XML tag info to here) but they are not embedded images like when originally posted. How odd.
    Last edited by Mark Kosmowski; 10-08-2007 at 06:00 PM.