lets see your bench shots this weekend

jim capozzi

hi all,

haven't posted much lately but i have been a wee bit busy.

i guess i will let the pics speak for themselves for the most part. all case parts (except the back) are cherry, the same is true for door rail and stile parts. the door fields will be veneered with red gum on the inside and i found some real nice waterfall figured bubbinga veneer for the outside fields. and the space in the middle of the cabinet will be drawers with either bubbinga or cherry faces. i am still working out the details for the legs. originally there were going to be like upside down T's with mortise and tennon joints holding the two parts together. the long part of the T i think is going to have a long slot in the middle to raise and lower the case itself in the legs . ( picture an old style school room portable chalk board)

does anyone have a better idea for this ? this tool case is for joan for her new lathe tools, full size sorby's and micro sorby's too plus a oneway chuck, and a few goodies i will donate to the cause that she doesn't know about yet ;) ok so she will soon after seeing this ;). but she wont see the doors or other details until i deliver it. hmmmmm maybe i should have her turn the legs for it :eek: that would be a fun first project for her new toy :thumb:

ok after seeing the pictures you get the idea i hope. big tools on the left , little tools on the bottom right , and a bank of drawers in the middle for diffrent sanding disk grits and micromesh paper in diffrent grits.

everything is ready to go in the vacuum press in the morning. its my dad in laws birthday party tommorrow so probably not much shop time . the press will have lots of time to do its thing :D

ok so you see what i am up to, now lets see what your working on :wave::D

Attachments

• clamped dry fit case.jpg
    clamped dry fit case.jpg
    38.3 KB · Views: 33
  • door rail and stile parts 2.jpg
    door rail and stile parts 2.jpg
    41.8 KB · Views: 26
  • veneer for inside of doors.jpg
    veneer for inside of doors.jpg
    43.8 KB · Views: 27
  • all ready for vacuum press.jpg
    all ready for vacuum press.jpg
    51.1 KB · Views: 30
  • cabinet start 4.jpg
    cabinet start 4.jpg
    44.9 KB · Views: 73
  • main case body.jpg
    main case body.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 22
VERY nice Griz, I'm sure that Joan will be thrilled, I certainly would be!

I might get a chance to make some interesting firewood tonight, but I'm just dropping in the house for a few, picking up daughter #2 to go back to the exhibition hall where daughter #1 is in a flower arranging exposition, got to head back out there and take some pics and video (we forgot BOTH cameras :doh:)

Looks great! :thumb:

Very nice Jim are there plans of putting items like chucks & such in the drawer too. The reason I ask this question is the drawer seem a little deep for just turning tools?

I am planning to build a new base for my lathe with 1 or 2 deep drawers at the bottom of the lathe for lathe chucks & the bigger items that are used for this hobby. The other drawers will be shallower for the turning tools & the tools will be with the cutting tips forward in the drawer with the steel setting on a magnetic bar so the working end is in view when the drawer is opened.

Another thought is to mount the tools this way on a board that will just lay in the drawer.

Very nice Jim are there plans of putting items like chucks & such in the drawer too. The reason I ask this question is the drawer seem a little deep for just turning tools?

I am planning to build a new base for my lathe with 1 or 2 deep drawers at the bottom of the lathe for lathe chucks & the bigger items that are used for this hobby. The other drawers will be shallower for the turning tools & the tools will be with the cutting tips forward in the drawer with the steel setting on a magnetic bar so the working end is in view when the drawer is opened.

Another thought is to mount the tools this way on a board that will just lay in the drawer.

hi bart

no laying tools down in this case, its ony about 4 3/4" deep. the tools will stand on the end of the handle, with a wooden holder of some sort to encase the buissiness end of the tool. the drawers are just to hold sanding disks, paper, micromesh, small stuff. because the drawers are only going to be about 3x6 inside the drawer box itself. ok thats it for now i am on my way out to make some wood and glue sandwiches in the vacuum press and then its birthday time for dad:D

I was deep in shop 're-wiring-land' so my bench was more of a scaffold than a bench this weekend. I'll post a couple shots tonight. (I know . . . weak).

Nedfirstworking.jpg

technically that's Mark's bench, but that is me woodworking on it, er, turning at it. Does that count?

ok ned

well yeah it counts !! maybe a little unusual but what the hey ...... :thumb:

considering your your current open air shop , its probably not the best place to be working at the moment due to our weather the last few days :eek:

considering your your current open air shop , its probably not the best place to be working at the moment due to our weather the last few days :eek:

Think of all the money Ned would save by using raw lightning to power his shop! :rofl: :rofl: And why waste all that transmission loss from Niagara Falls when we have a nice source of hydropower in the backyard! :rofl: :rofl:

I've posted pics of what I made this weekend elsewhere, but will attempt to add the attachment codes here as an exercise.

I put up some pegboard and made a turning tool rack - I can see my bench now!

View attachment 13189

I also got my planer stand to a point where I can take the planer off of my bench for more bench space.

View attachment 13198

Hmmm... I can click on the links to see the pics (that were embedded in prior posts - I just copied the ATTACHMENT XML tag info to here) but they are not embedded images like when originally posted. How odd.

Last edited:
i gotta know what`s up with lace curtins in shops?:eek:

They complement Ned's shirt nicely. :huh:

They came with the house - it would be an expenditure of effort to take them down and it clearly states on page 4,563 of the Manly Manual that it is against the man code to expend effort for anything regarding shop appearance. The bubinga with cocobolo accent workbenches are not a violation of this as they fall under the category of, "If you can do it better than the other guys, then by all means show it off!" rule found on page 1,982. :rofl:

Although, Tod, if you keep on making the curtain cracks I might just go to the fabric store and find some tool print cotton with which to make new curtains from, just to drive you nuts! This will need to wait until there is snow, ice and cold though, as that is an inside activity that I wouldn't want to waste good weather shop time with.

Got 3 of the 5 layers on my workbench top epoxied together. Hope to get the 4th and 5th layer glued together tomorrow night, then glue that to what I've already got done.
bench18.jpgbench21.jpg

Doug, what are all of the layers? And which is going to be the top and bottom?

I'm doing the top like the one Sam Blasco did on this thread
http://www.sawmillcreek.org/showthread.php?t=22081
There's some SU sketches on this thread but the layers might be too hard to see.
http://familywoodworking.org/forums/showthread.php?t=5447

My pics are showing the bottom 3 layers. The 4th is another horizontal layer then the benchtop is another vertical layer like the top one that I've got done so far. No vacuum press so I'm having to do it a bit at a time.

No bench shots this weekend.
David and I went to Portales, NM, to see Joe and Lora Chandler, the couple whose business went up in smoke two weeks ago. Joe had ordered some things from Woodworker's and we took them down in our trailer (saved shipping costs), and helped get them into the "new" building. I say "new", but the building is an old corrugated-steel, steel-frame barn with no running water, no bathrooms, lousy lighting, and no telephone. They had to pay the electric company to run power to the building. They have received several decent machines, including a couple of PowerMatic cabinet saws, but ended up buying a new DP and a new bandsaw. They are going from a 100x100' shop to a 40x60' shop, and they are going to try to get up and running by the end of this week, as they have a big kitchen job waiting for them and they need that income.

Fortunately, the load of furniture that was in the trailer in the shop when the fire started got pulled out with a tractor (damaging the trailer in the process), and got delivered and paid for, so they aren't destitute, but they have a long way to go to get back to where they were a year ago.

Please keep Joe and Lora in your thoughts.

Nancy (74 days)