Slab Table

I know a guy that imports stuff. He gets his from Papanew (sp) Guinea. He brought in some slabs that were hugh. One was about 3"X11'X5'. It needed a fork lift to be handled. I got a smaller one to work up for a client. I offered to do the top, which meant squaring the ends, sides, rounding the corners, routing the edges and sanding the top. Paul, who sometimes works with me has timber framing tools and so he asked to use them and offered to do the base. Here is the sequence as best I can recall. There are not a lot of photos with paul doing the mortise and tenoning as I was busy on another job and got few photos here.
craig and CJ table 001.jpg

craig and CJ table 002.jpg

craig and CJ table 003.jpg

craig and CJ table 004.jpg

craig and CJ table 006.jpg

craig and CJ table 012.jpg

craig and CJ table 015.jpg

Craig and CJ table 016.jpg

Shaz, that is some serious wood! Looks great, what finish are you going to put on it! And what was pulling the other end of that rope? Is there a hidden tool gloat there or did you lease out a beast of burden to do the heavy lifting?

Jay

Very cool, thanks for sharing. Thanks Joe:wave:...S

Shaz, that is some serious wood! Looks great, what finish are you going to put on it! And what was pulling the other end of that rope? Is there a hidden tool gloat there or did you lease out a beast of burden to do the heavy lifting? Hi Jay :wave:, Duraseal is a floor finish that worked real well and no, no tool gloat here. the other end was a Silverado.:rolleyes:...S

Jay
The big slabs are very striking but too you need the room for them:rolleyes:.
At the shop I have two bookmatched slabs about 26"x2 1/4"x 11' long in spalted pecan. I don't have space for a 50"x 11' table it but dream of the day. Some pieces are too sweet to sell. Right now they are under a stack of smaller lumber. Someday I'll post pics for proof :rolleyes:.
Shaz

Attachments

• tables (6).jpg
    tables (6).jpg
    50 KB · Views: 67
So does Paul shoot a couple of brads in there to just to hold it until the glue dries :rolleyes: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl:

That looks fantastic, I can imagine it would have a huge impact on a room! :thumb:

Excellent :thumb:

I've got a big slab of cypress around that size that I'm planning to make a dining table from, so I've taken a good look at how he has done the legs.
Still mulling ideas about exactly how to do them, but something along those lines works with the big heavy top :)

Cheers

Ian

hey shaz is that tall dude in one of the first pics yu? if so looks like you have aged since yur avatar:rofl: that is one nce slab,, got a couple small ones myself that need to find just the right spot... in time all things will pass