Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Do you have a stash?

Do you have a stash?

Does anyone have a piece or pieces of wood, a stash if you will, that is too sweet to sell, too sweet to use for profit? Have you wood you are saving for that " Special" project, sometimes not even knowing what that project will be? If so put your picture where your pride is, and remember as long as it is "Sweet" to you, YOU ARE the possessor of a real treasure!
    Shaz
    P.S. Maybe you already built something from that "stash". Have you that photo?
    Last edited by Robert Schaubhut; 10-07-2007 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Spelling
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schaubhut View Post
    Does anyone have a piece or pieces of wood, a stash if you will, that is too sweet to sell, too sweet to use for profit? Have you wood you are saving for that " Special" project, sometimes not even knowing what that project will be? If so put your picture where your pride is, and remember as long as it is "Sweet" to you, YOU ARE the possessor of a real treasure!
    Shaz
    P.S. Maybe you already built something from that "stash". Have you that photo?
    I've got 2 12ft lengths of 10"x2" zebrano which have been sitting there for years just waiting for the right job!

Also got about the same of wenge. Never used any of it. I think it came as part of a 'great' deal a few years back.

Not so 'great' as it turned out!

A timber merchent friend of mine has two whole logs of ebony which his grandfather bought 60 years ago. He refers to them as his 'pension'
    Last edited by Duncan Cheslett; 10-07-2007 at 07:26 PM.

Hi Duncan ,
    WOW ..That is worth saving, but for how long? Great problem! Thanks
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Sorry, no. Stashes are illegal here in CA.

Thanks, Mark.

Custom Bonehead.

My diet is working good. I'm down to needing just one chair now.

"Just think how stupid the average person is, and then realize that half of them are even stupider!" --George Carlin

You beat me to it Mark! Ah, Shaz, the master of the double entendre!

A stash? Singular? Ye gotta be kidding. I've got three.
    Picture #1 is slabs of maple on top, down below are slabs of walnut. Lotsa projects in all that. The small hunks on the end are Dogwood I use, on occasion, to make religious objects. If you don't know the Legend of the Dogwood, look it up. Meaningful for Christians.
    Picture #2 is mostly Osage Orange but there is other stuff there also: Bradford Pear, Mulberry, Walnut, etc. I really like Osage Orange. Hard but still neat to turn.
    Picture #3 is in the shop next to the Griz lathe. Totally disorganized pieces of a lot of different woods, some exotic. Big piece on floor is Mulberry, brought in just about same time as I set up my wonderful new Grizzly G1067Z, 1/2 HP, min. speed, 600 rpm lathe. That hunk, about 60 pounds, was going to be one of my first turning projects. Five years, still sitting there. Definitely much safer there than flying towards my face. That box on top was a care package from Ned. Contains a neat variety of wood pieces. I dip into it now and then for different kinds of small projects.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails wood stash 1.jpg   wood stash 2.jpg   wood stash 3.jpg  
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I call it " ageing " the wood !

Its someone else's scrap ( but, then, ALL my " lumber " is someone else's scrap ! ). Been " ageing " for a couple years now. One day it'll be a rather large " odd-shapes " clamping rig when I spring for brass rods and nuts. Don't even know what flavor this stuff is. It was just to pretty to leave in the dumpster. Any guesses ? I'd appreciate it !
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails WOOD.JPG  

Quote Originally Posted by steve mackay View Post
    Don't even know what flavor this stuff is. [...] Any guesses ?
    The color (and the burn marks) make me say, "Purpleheart".

Quote Originally Posted by steve mackay View Post
    Don't even know what flavor this stuff is. It was just to pretty to leave in the dumpster. Any guesses ? I'd appreciate it !
    I would guess that it is purple heart as well.

Might be able to use them for accent pieces on a larger project. Maybe could be used for part of a cutting board too.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by Kerry Burton View Post
    The color (and the burn marks) make me say, "Purpleheart".
    I'll 'mee too' the purpleheart.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire