Do you have a stash?

Does anyone have a piece or pieces of wood, a stash if you will, that is too sweet to sell, too sweet to use for profit? :eek: Have you wood you are saving for that " Special" project, sometimes not even knowing what that project will be? If so put your picture where your pride is, and remember as long as it is "Sweet" to you, YOU ARE the possessor of a real treasure!:D:thumb:
Shaz:)
P.S. Maybe you already built something from that "stash". Have you that photo?

Last edited:
Does anyone have a piece or pieces of wood, a stash if you will, that is too sweet to sell, too sweet to use for profit? :eek: Have you wood you are saving for that " Special" project, sometimes not even knowing what that project will be? If so put your picture where your pride is, and remember as long as it is "Sweet" to you, YOU ARE the possessor of a real treasure!:D:thumb:
Shaz:)
P.S. Maybe you already built something from that "stash". Have you that photo?

I've got 2 12ft lengths of 10"x2" zebrano which have been sitting there for years just waiting for the right job!

Also got about the same of wenge. Never used any of it. I think it came as part of a 'great' deal a few years back.

Not so 'great' as it turned out!

A timber merchent friend of mine has two whole logs of ebony which his grandfather bought 60 years ago. He refers to them as his 'pension'

Last edited:
A stash? Singular? Ye gotta be kidding. I've got three.
Picture #1 is slabs of maple on top, down below are slabs of walnut. Lotsa projects in all that. The small hunks on the end are Dogwood I use, on occasion, to make religious objects. If you don't know the Legend of the Dogwood, look it up. Meaningful for Christians.
Picture #2 is mostly Osage Orange but there is other stuff there also: Bradford Pear, Mulberry, Walnut, etc. I really like Osage Orange. Hard but still neat to turn.
Picture #3 is in the shop next to the Griz lathe. Totally disorganized pieces of a lot of different woods, some exotic. Big piece on floor is Mulberry, brought in just about same time as I set up my wonderful new Grizzly G1067Z, 1/2 HP, min. speed, 600 rpm lathe. That hunk, about 60 pounds, was going to be one of my first turning projects. Five years, still sitting there. Definitely much safer there than flying towards my face. That box on top was a care package from Ned. Contains a neat variety of wood pieces. I dip into it now and then for different kinds of small projects.

Attachments

• wood stash 1.jpg
    wood stash 1.jpg
    102.7 KB · Views: 40
  • wood stash 2.jpg
    wood stash 2.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 37
  • wood stash 3.jpg
    wood stash 3.jpg
    97.7 KB · Views: 40
I call it " ageing " the wood !

Its someone else's scrap ( but, then, ALL my " lumber " is someone else's scrap ! ). Been " ageing " for a couple years now. One day it'll be a rather large " odd-shapes " clamping rig when I spring for brass rods and nuts. Don't even know what flavor this stuff is. It was just to pretty to leave in the dumpster. Any guesses ? I'd appreciate it !

Attachments

• WOOD.JPG
    WOOD.JPG
    37.6 KB · Views: 36
hi shaz

a stash ? well maybe a few special pieces even if they are a little large :eek: not really just mostly thick. i have a couple of boards of purple heart in the rough 8 1/2" wide and a little over 5' long each. i also have a slab of the same thats 3 1/2" thick or so by 8"wide by 3' long. a couple of pieces of bubbinga that i thought would be perfect for my current project but , its not quite enough so i will save it for something else :doh: and the last little treasure is a slab of paduak 4" thick by 6 or 7" wide by 3' long or so. oops almost fotgot ... a nice piece of redheart left over from an easel i made for my daughter 1x4 by 6' long. thats it for my stash , whats everyone else got ? :wave::D

Stash? Stash? Not me, no, I can quit whenever I want....really :rofl:

I've got so many special pieces tucked away I don't think I'll ever use them all up. The best are some old pieces of redwood burl that I got from the grand daughter of a violin maker who died in the 1930's - think its seasoned yet? :D

Either that or some birdseye mesquite, never seen any other like it.

I'll try to post some pictures when I get back to NM, just finished a week at the telescope.