Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Finish that won't dry

Finish that won't dry

i would like to fix the top of my dining room table. about 2 years ago i stripped it with formby's products and then sprayed a lacquer on it. the finish is still sticky. plates, glasses and anything else you put on it stick. recently i place a table cloth on it and it left a perfect impression of the lace pattern. any idea of what i did wrong? How do i get this sticky stuff off ? thanks Gene

Hi Gene,
    I am not that well versed in finishes but I have had some finishes for me that would not harden. For me it has been so confusing, and mostly with lacquers and alchohol stains. I ended up stripping some back to square one and others that had the color right I just sprayed with a lacquer sanding sealer. We do have some really sharp guys here and hopefully they will chime in in the next few days to solve the problem of the soft and lacy pattern in your top.
    The answer is out there!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

It sounds to me that a residue of wax or other previous finish remained on the table top before you applied the lacquer. This would be enough to prevent the lacquer curing properly.

Or did you use a two-pack lacquer? If so maybe you didn't add enough catalyst.

Either way the lacquer hasn't cured. Unfortunately the only solution is to strip it off right back to the bare wood. Then treat the wood with a cleaning solution to kill any wax in the pores, sand and refinish.
    Last edited by Duncan Cheslett; 10-08-2007 at 06:26 AM. Reason: Bad Grammar - well it early in the morning!

I'm with Duncan. Sounds like contaminates. LOML's got a table with the same disease that on the list. Previous owners re-did the kitchen and all was well except the table (???). I have a feeling someone got burned out and just skipped or short changed a refinishing step on hers.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

gene, i`ve never known lacquer to not cure in short order.....what brand and type did you apply?
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by tod evans View Post
    gene, i`ve never known lacquer to not cure in short order....
    Same here. One possibility is that if it was precat lacquer it could have been out of date. My Sherman-Willimans store had some cans four years old and I believe the limit is four months but could be six months. They thought it might be OK. Ha!

Odds are that you do not still have the can, but if you do check the date and compare it to the date that you applied it. If you don't have it you might want to go back where you bought it and look at the dates on the cans that they have in stock. That should give you some idea.
    Last edited by Allen Bookout; 10-08-2007 at 03:04 PM.

you guys are thinking way to fancy. my lacquer came out of a spray can. i wouldn't begin to know what to do with a precat lacquer or 2 part conversion. can you spray that stuff through a power wagner. the product was made by deft and does have something stamped on the bottom but only the manufacturer would know what it means. how do i get that sticky stuff off ? i will probably just replace it with a water based poly.

gene,
    use lacquer thinner on a rag, outdoors if you don`t like the smell.
    thinner will eat most household rubber gloves so don`t bother.
    i`ve never tried spraying nitrocellouse out of a wagner but if it has plastic parts or is the electric model i`d not try it.
    on an average sized dining table i can easily shoot, sanded between coats, 10-12 coats of nitrocellouse over a weekend, if it`s warm-n-dry in a day. don`t knock lacquer, it`s worked well for lotsa years, for lotsa folks.
    ask any furniture refinisher what finish they hate...almost all will state polyurethane.

i was just joking about the wagner. i guess my sense of humor didn't translate. my other always says she doesn't get me. i'm not knocking lacquer, i'm just afraid that something left over from the formbys will stop it from drying again.

Quote Originally Posted by Gene Miller View Post
    i was just joking about the wagner. i guess my sense of humor didn't translate. my other always says she doesn't get me. i'm not knocking lacquer, i'm just afraid that something left over from the formbys will stop it from drying again.
    gene, i wouldn`t know what that could be? lacquer will burn through even light wax.....don`t try it though.....