Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: How did you learn woodworking?

How did you learn woodworking?

My mother in law asked me a question yesterday that made me think. I was showing her my progress on my sisters wine cabinet. She was looking at it and said "Where did you learn to do this??" It kind of caught me off guard and my best answer was "from books and magazines".

The more I thought about it I realized that up to two years ago I had never really built anything furniture wise. For many years I have wanted to and knew I could. I have bought books, read, studied. Did some basic woodworking and fair amount of carpentry building our 3 homes. I did get serious about turning for year till we moved and I lost my shop for 7 years.

Now in the house 2 years and I have an (almost) fully equipped shop. I am building furniture for our house. And I have just taught myself from reading book and magazines.
    Last edited by Jeff Horton; 10-07-2007 at 11:50 PM. Reason: grammar
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

David (LML) has been doing some form of woodworking since his teens, and I got into it when I quickly determined that the only way to spend any quality time with my spouse was to be in the garage/shop with him. I started out small – sanding, holding, catching – then moved on to helping him with finishing. We do custom furniture and cabinetry – when we can get the commissions – and we build all our own furniture and cabinetry. We've had a side business for as long as we've been married. Now we work together on designing things and in the shop building things. We also have the laser business which we acquired a couple of years ago which is starting to be our primary business. David also gives "woodworking lessons" to a couple of friends, and he repairs machinery when called upon. I guess I've just picked up all I know by osmosis and by doing.

Nancy (75 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

On the Road to Eagle Scout !

The rest was/is the proverbial slide. God bless the Boy Scouts.

I DO wish Lrs. Laird would have a word with my souse though. Just a nudge !
    Last edited by steve mackay; 10-08-2007 at 12:08 AM.

Never have. My main avocation is making sawdust and chips.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

I never had any formal training in WW. Wood shop was not offered at my high school. I learned some from my Dad. I learned some from watching TV, Norm on New Yankee Workshop and David Marks on Workworks. I also learned some from reading books, magazines, and internet articles. Also alot from just plain old trial and error. I have learned a great deal from making mistakes and then having to fix them.
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Quote Originally Posted by steve mackay View Post
    I DO wish Lrs. Laird would have a word with my souse though. Just a nudge !
    Your souse??????

Seriously, Mrs. MacKay, helping spouse in the workshop is the best form of togetherness I've found with my husband. Try it, you might like it, especially when that togetherness leads to something for your home.

Nancy (75 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Horton View Post
    And I have just taught myself from reading book and magazines.
    ... and practising.

You missed a bit there in your sentence, Jeff. Hope you don't mind me correcting your "typo".

...art

ps: never once saw a ww'ing show on TV? Wow, Jeff, that's amazing. (sarcastic? Who, me?)

pps: The closest I've come to formal training was two years of shop class in the mid 70's... grade 7 and 8. Otherwise it was messing about in my dad (the carpenter) garage when I was younger, which gave me a can-do attitude. Then many years later just getting started ... reading, watching videos, and trying it out. Starting small. Incremental improvement

What little I've done and learned has been trial and error...and lots of firewood, even back before I had a fireplace! I had a semester of shop in high school, but it was a joke. Didn't really learn anything there. Probably learned more taking things apart as a kid than building anything. Learned some basic carpentry skills from my Dad, but even that was not a lot. Would probably be a lot further into woodworking if I had had someone to show me the ropes! So I still create a lot of sawdust. At least now, a good portion is sucked up by the cyclone. Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

My only formal woodworking education was in high school but that was nearly 50 years ago. I always liked working with my hands, taking things apart and putting them back together. The taking apart was usually more successful though. I bought a table saw and a few power tools about 20 years ago and mostly repaired things but then Norm came along and the rest, as they say (whoever they is) is history. Most of my woodworking knowledge comes from him.

self taught by trial-n-error...............lots of errors!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]