A couple of weekends, a couple of desks

Rennie Heuer

Staff member
Our church runs a preschool and every morning parents come in and drop off their rug rats and have to sign them in only to sign them out a few hours later. For some time we've had a couple of small podiums in the hall out side the doors of the two classes to hold the clipboard with the sign in sheets. This had become a bit of an issue with people bumping into them (especially the aforementioned rug rats) and the space they took up when not in use.

I was asked to furnish a solution. Done! :D

The case is weeping birch harvested from another church member's yard. The door is birch ply with a laminate interior and Lyptus edge banding.

Now the desks can be folded up out of the way when not in use. :thumb:
DSC_1564s.JPG DSC_1565s.JPG DSC_1566s.JPG DSC_1567s.JPG DSC_1568s.JPG

Rennie,
those look terrific! How do you like working with Lyptus? I've not tried it yet, but I saw a presentation by the scientist who 'commercialized' it for Weyerhaeuser. Fascinating product.
Hi Ned,

I really like Lyptus (see my signature line). It's dense, heavy wood that (I think) finishes glass smooth and has some beautiful highlights.
DSCN0666 compressed.JPG DSCN0668T.jpg DSCN0678.JPG

Down side - splinters, lots of them....mostly in my fingers :eek:. I have also cut myself a couple of times running my finger along a freshly planed edge - the corner was that sharp!

Attachments

• DSCN0671s.JPG
    DSCN0671s.JPG
    74.2 KB · Views: 25
aha,
well I'm right near SUNY Morrisville, which hosts the NY college of Forestry, and while I forget the prof's name, I vividly recall the whole process of how they brought him a sample, did NOT tell him what it was, and asked him to quantify it, and then to commercialize it. When I get my shop up and going, I'm planning on a few projects with it for the house.

aha,
well I'm right near SUNY Morrisville, which hosts the NY college of Forestry, and while I forget the prof's name, I vividly recall the whole process of how they brought him a sample, did NOT tell him what it was, and asked him to quantify it, and then to commercialize it. When I get my shop up and going, I'm planning on a few projects with it for the house.
I'd be real interested in hearing about, and seeing, the results!

Good Job

Very nice Rennie!

It's always nice to be able to use one gifts for the benefit of others.