Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: vise jaw material

vise jaw material

Is there any reason not to use softwood jaws for a bench vise?

only that they`ll need replaced more frequently......
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    Is there any reason not to use softwood jaws for a bench vise?
    Mark,
    I use poplar for mine. Not as soft as pine, spruce, or aspen, but still pretty soft. Mine are half an inch thick, and I've imbedded two neodymium magnets in each so that they stay in place during use, but can be easily removed if necessary.

I used to have one set that was faced with cork, but the cork got torn up fairly quickly, and I just never bothered replacing it.
    Jim D.
    Adapt, Improvise, Overcome!

I used beech which is not expensive around here. It's pretty hard but not so hard as to damage things. My vises primarily hold dogs to tighten against dogs in the bench so I needed a material hard enough to hold the dog without wearing out. If you're clamping items between the jaws, other than the wear-factor I see no problems.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

I pad my vice Jaws with copper. It works like steel, lasts like steel and is as soft as wood. Works good for me.
    I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"

pssst Mark....

M

A

P

L

E
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Travis Johnson View Post
    I pad my vice Jaws with copper. It works like steel, lasts like steel, costs like GOLD.... and is as soft as wood. Works good for me.

Seen the price of copper lately

I use whatever hard wood I have around that is the right size etc.

Cheers!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Isn't 24K gold cheaper and softer than copper now? Good for those gilded age pieces.

My original question was me thinking of replacing my current oak jaws to mount dogs (old jaws were only 3/4" thick, dogs need 3/4" hole). What I did was to add a piece of 2 by 4 offcut to the back of the rear jaw. I should be able to get pics tonight.

It seems like all of my self made shop improvement bits are offcuts from Ned's shop construction lately....

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Kosmowski View Post
    It seems like all of my self made shop improvement bits are offcuts from Ned's shop construction lately....
    And he thought he was getting "free" labor out of you.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post

Seen the price of copper lately

I use whatever hard wood I have around that is the right size etc.

Cheers!
    Copper has somehow got this reputation for being overly expensive, but the cost is dropping. I have bought a lot of copper lately, a few hundred feet of copper tubing for my propane heating system, and a few sheets for my cupola. At work we use it all the time and it runs about 60 bucks for a 3 foot by 8 foot sheet, 20 gauge.

This cupola cost about 100 bucks...

Besides, if you see a plumber or a tin knockers shop, they would give you the scraps you need to make some copper jaws. Not arguing with anyone here mind you, just saying copper can be had and it works good.

I have no intention of traveling from birth to the grave in a manicured and well preserved body; but rather I will skid in sideways, totally beat up, completely worn out, utterly exhausted and jump off my tractor and loudly yell, "Wow, this is what it took to feed a nation!"