Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: G0513X, First Cuts

G0513X, First Cuts

Bearing in mind that this is a step up from the 12" BS that I sold, I am very impressed with this BS. My grand plan involved upgrading the jointer, then the BS and then the DP. Life being what it is, I got the DP first (great deal thanks to the LOML). I then robbed the jointer piggy bank when a deal came along on this BS as I've mentioned in other posts.

The BS purchase moved the sub panel project up (and I had just gotten the shop somewhat back in shape). I've only added enough stuff so far to power the BS, TS, DC and some wall and ceiling outlets. My lighting is in the tank but, it'll do for now:
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Subpanel-1.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	13289
    The little orange things on the wires inside the panel are one of my dad's ideas; you keep a little insulation from your romex, write the circuit info on them and slip them over the hot wires before you tie them down.

I haven't even gone through a decent setup effort but wanted to see where I was starting from:

Name:	First-Cuts-1.jpg 
Views:	53 
Size:	100.6 KB 
ID:	13290
    It runs quite smooth and the ShopFox mobile base is reasonably stable although if it hadn't come as a set I would prefer something a little more heavy duty.

It does cut a dashing figure compared to my old 12":

Name:	BS-and-Ladder.jpg 
Views:	61 
Size:	106.9 KB 
ID:	13291
    I'll do a more complete review following some serious clean up around the shop. There's electrical parts and spoil on every flat surface in the shop and some in the house . I've got drywall dust in everything from tearing down the one wall. Didn't somebody post the question of when is your shop "done". . . . ? Its a journey, not a destination.
    Last edited by glenn bradley; 10-09-2007 at 12:59 AM.
    Any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Glenn,

Thats one nice BandSaw! Is that the stock fence, or an aftermarket one?

Some time after new years, I am hoping to upgrade from my 9in sears to a "real" Band Saw. I've been eyeing the Steel City 14in, but I know I could get a Delta, Jet, or Gizzly 14in for less. Even with their current rebate, the Steel City is about $625.

What were the deciding factors for you in choosing this model? What are your thoughts on guide blocks or bearings? I like the idea of bearings, but I can't really say exactly why.

thanks,
    -Sean
    We create with our hands in wood what our mind sees in thought.
    Disclosure: Formerly was a part-time sales person & instructor at WoodCraft in Buffalo, NY.
    www.tinyurl.com/thewoodshoppe

Thanks Sean. Stock fence; mounts high or low. I had a 12" and was planning on a 14" Rikon. The deciding factor here was an idle comment I made on another forum. A gentleman had posted the saw which he bought new in March. He had about 20 minutes of cutting on it and then his personal situation changed. He needed to lose the BS to make room for a slider in his shop.

Someone had already put a deposit on the saw and I posted something about always being just too late to get the good deals. Well the buyer backed out and the guy lives about an hour from me. He PM'd me and presto change-o. My jointer piggy bank is destroyed but I have a 17", 2HP Griz.

I will have to hold my opinions on bearings etc. till I have some time on the saw but it appears very well made compared to many saws I saw over two days at "the Woodworking Shows" in Pomona just awhile back. The blade tracks very well on my few test cuts of 8" or so of height and I haven't even adjusted anything.

I'll post a better review once I feel I've used the saw enough for my opinion to have some value.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Great saw and great post Glenn. I've heard nothing but good things about this saw.
    Member; Society of American Period Furniture Makers

Boy are you going to like that saw!

But what I want to know, is how your saw resawed the wood so thin, and put holes in it too.........

The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Great saw. Only downside is that now all your friends with smaller band saws will be bringing their big stuff over for you to resaw.
    When you do the full review, please show more of that resaw fence. 'high/low adjustment The envious among us want to know more.
    "Folks is funny critters."

Think for yourselves and let others enjoy the privilege to do so, too. ~Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by Stuart Ablett View Post
    Boy are you going to like that saw!

But what I want to know, is how your saw resawed the wood so thin, and put holes in it too.........

I was so fascinated by watching the blade slice through the wood that my heat-vision must've kicked in by mistake .
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Nice saw, you're going to have fun

So about the new look.......... you become a moderator and grow a beard in one day?

But it isn't grey.............. never mind, you have only been a moderator for one day!

Seriously, thanks to you and all the other new moderators for stepping up and helping to keep this a great place.

Jay

The cheeks are grey, the pic is a few years back. The 'old' avatar is 'newer'. Oh great . . . now I'm confused. Thanks for the warm welcome.
    - Arthur C. Clarke

Great saw Glenn! And it sounds like you were in the right place at the right time! Have fun with it.

Wes