Free wood score

Gene Miller

Thanks to this woodworking site I just scored some free wood. it was a deck for the last 20 or so years. i would have never even offered to take it if it hadn't been for some of the previous postings. i didn't realize that you could reuse wood that old. originally when i offered to take it she told me she was going to get somebody to make her a table and chairs. she just called and said that everybody told her it was to hard to work with. i'll go and get it tomorrow. the wood is ipe. there is quite a large amount and while i don't know what i'll do with it yet i will figure it out. I would like a pair of adarondike chairs and i could use a nice decorative gate. any advice about working this wood would be helpful. what will it do to my tersa knives? :dunno:

pop for some m-42 knifes......it`ll still eat those but you`ll trash hss in short order.

Yep, it'll be even worse on the chrome ones that came with the machine... Or you could just plan on trashing a set of chromes and buy another set when you are done, since they are cheap enough compared to the M-42s.

i picked up the wood and pressure washed it to remove the ground in grime. the wood dried out quickly in this heat and looks amazing. i'm impressed with how straight and flat the wood is. i borrowed a dewalt planer because i could sharpen the blades myself and promised when finished to return it with a brand new pair. i figured $50 made more sense then using up my more expensive tersa blades. i didn't have to take off much to make the wood look brand new. i finished with 7/8. it's amazing how quickly the planer sounds like it's beating the wood instead of cutting it. i built a gate for the side and should have it hung by the end of the day. i used a clean oil to bring out the grain even more. i would add a picture but i don't know how in the middle of a thread.

Thanks Greg, I'll give it a try. here is a couple of shots of the finished gate. the wood was to hard to try to make tenons. i used dowels instead. i don't know what it weights but it sure is heavy.

Great score! The price of IPE is through the roof. I haven't worked with it but it is supposed to be somewhat of a pain in the neck and hard on tools, but it'll last for ever. Same fire rating as concrete!