Thread: My Airedale!

My Airedale!

After the little dogwood flower, I decided I liked carving well enough to try something else. Here is a carving of my Airedale, Spencer! The wood is mahogany and the size is around 5x5. Let me know what you think. If there are any carvers out there, feel free to critique!

Not a carver, but I am a dog lover. VERY NICE!!!! Jim.
    Coolmeadow Setters...
    Exclusively Irish!
    Home of Irish Setter Rescue of North Texas
    When Irish Eyes are smiling, they're usually up to something!!
    At a minimum, I'm Pentatoxic...but most likely, I'm a Pentaholic. There seems to be no known cure. Pentatonix, winners of The Sing Off, season 3

I recognized it as your dog right off the bat. Thats a LOT more than you can say for anything I have ever carved!!
    God grant me the senility to forget the people I never liked anyway,
    the good fortune to run into the ones I do,
    and the eyesight to tell the difference.

Kudzu Craft Lightweight Skin on frame Kayaks.
    Custom built boats and Kits

What a beautiful job Ed, Looks just like an
    Airedale and the treatment around Spencer is a very good choice too. Wonderful work.!!!
    Shaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

Thanks guys. I have been having fun trying some different things lately. One of these days I'd like to add some of them in a piece of furniture! Still needing to take a shot at marquetry. As for the carving, LOML has already asked me to add the other 2 dogs, English Setter and Spaniel, to a carving. Since this is something I've found I can do to get a woodworking fix during lunch, I may have to start working on that! I have a larger and thicker piece of mahogany that would work nicely to get a little deeper relief.

Too many things to do and not enough time!

Quote Originally Posted by Ed Nelson View Post
    Thanks guys. I have been having fun trying some different things lately. One of these days I'd like to add some of them in a piece of furniture! Still needing to take a shot at marquetry. As for the carving, LOML has already asked me to add the other 2 dogs, English Setter and Spaniel, to a carving. Since this is something I've found I can do to get a woodworking fix during lunch, I may have to start working on that! I have a larger and thicker piece of mahogany that would work nicely to get a little deeper relief.

Too many things to do and not enough time!
    Hi Ed ,
    You might consider this and throw it out, then again it might be applicable.
    Since you are doing a puppy dog theme consider doing them in exactly the same size blocks as then they can be used as capital blocks or as decorative accents in the piece of furniture. When you get into modified sizes with similar motif you are stepping into the Arts and crafts design area, consider the collage idea. It is much more difficult to use the similar motif in different sizes ia a classical piece of furniture. It is through experience I have discovered this knowwisdom.
    SHaz
    I am a registered voter and you can be too. We ( registered voters ) select the moderators for this forum by voting every six months for the people we want to watch over this family forum.
    Please join me. Register now.
    Shaz
    Here is how

I think this is great, Ed. I really like it. Carving is a skill I admire, but I don't think I could ever pick it up. Good show.

Nancy (72 days)
    Nancy Laird
    dandnspecialties@msn.com
    FWW Registered Voter and Voting Member
    Woodworker, turner, laser engraver; RETIRED!!

A veteran is someone who, at one point in his life, wrote a blank check made payable to his country for an amount of 'up to and including my life.' If you love your country, thank a vet.

Quote Originally Posted by Robert Schaubhut View Post
    Hi Ed ,
    You might consider this and throw it out, then again it might be applicable.
    Since you are doing a puppy dog theme consider doing them in exactly the same size blocks as then they can be used as capital blocks or as decorative accents in the piece of furniture. When you get into modified sizes with similar motif you are stepping into the Arts and crafts design area, consider the collage idea. It is much more difficult to use the similar motif in different sizes ia a classical piece of furniture. It is through experience I have discovered this knowwisdom.
    SHaz
    Thanks for the advise Shaz! I always appreciate your opinion! his piece will likely become a box lid. If I do one of the pups, it'll probably be all of them together. We'll see.

Quote Originally Posted by Nancy Laird View Post
    I think this is great, Ed. I really like it. Carving is a skill I admire, but I don't think I could ever pick it up. Good show.

Nancy (72 days)
    Nancy, Don't sell yourself short! If any had told me a couple years ago that I'd be doing some of the things I'm doing now, I'd have said they were nuts! Never hurts to try and see what happens!

you`re hooked ed! ain`t nuthin` like the feel of a sharp chisel cutting cross grain in mahogany! spencer looks good!
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

Looks good to me. Leo sez woof too.

Ken