Bed BOLT Cams, anyone used these

Aaron, I have not used the bed cams, but looking at the Rockler info, it looks like it is screwed into the post.

I've built a few beds, and the forces involved in holding the side rails to the posts are formidable. I am not convinced this product will hold up for the life expectancy of a bed.

I like to make a mortise and tenon joint, held together with a very heft bed bolt from Horton's Brasses. The strength is really satisfying. True, one needs to have the bolt cover, but to me, that is just a constraint of dealing with a time-honored and proven design.

Ken

Whew...I thought this was going to be a dirty post!:eek:

looks like another way to do it. I haven't built a bed and can't offer much thought to the product.

I'm with Ed. My first thought was: "No. A little too kinky for me".:D:rofl:
Does anyone still make a bed side frame rail that has hooks on the end that slips into a receptacle that mounts in a mortise in the headboard and foot board legs, then drops down to secure it? I remember a bed growing up that was built that way, and it was always very very sturdy. Of course, it requires you to have a foot board. But would be perfect for a sleigh style bed. Jim.

I thought it might be a little weak, I thought about regular bed bolts but the bed bolt cover would no look very good. The bolt covers would be on the end of the footboard, so those would show the headboard wouldn't be a problem since it would be against the wall.

woodstore_1966_62941619.gif

I am just not sure they would look good, so I may just use the the metal slip over bed fasteners, like these shown below.

94k0102g1.jpg

Does anyone still make a bed side frame rail that has hooks on the end that slips into a receptacle that mounts in a mortise in the headboard and foot board legs, then drops down to secure it?
\

Yup, that what I used on the bed I made a few months ago. I can't remember where I got them but they are still out there.

\

Yup, that what I used on the bed I made a few months ago. I can't remember where I got them but they are still out there.

Here is a pic I found online, would make for some very clean connections, and the tabs are tapered so you would think it could wedge itself pretty good and hold tight over time.

10_39648220_rail kit.jpg

I've built a few beds, and the forces involved in holding the side rails to the posts are formidable. I am not convinced this product will hold up for the life expectancy of a bed.

Ken

They show the cams being used in conjunction with dowels, would those dowels help take some of the support forces???

I wouldn't glue the dowels since I want to be able to knock down the bed but at least they would be there to help support the bed along with the cam. Thoughts?

I used dowels in one application, and was not impressed. The connector Jeff showedwas unsatisfactory for me in a head board application. But I like a bed to be rock solid.

Here's a link to the bed I made with Horton's bed bolts. The bolt covers are pretty obvious.

Ken

I wouldn't mind using a bed bolt because of the good things I have heard about them, just can't get over that cover being on the front of the leg. It seems like it would be high up and not look very good.

Granted I have never actually seen a bed bolt cover on a bed in person but when I try to visualize it the cover would seem out of place, but maybe it wouldn't?

I just used a regular 6" long 3/8" x 16 bolt and a 3/8 T nut along with M&T joint . Use a forstner bit to drill the hole part way on the inside rail, then chisel a flat for the T nut. Bolt covers on the foot board posts. 3 years and this bed is rock solid.bed in charis room.JPG

I just used a regular 6" long 3/8" x 16 bolt and a 3/8 T nut along with M&T joint . Use a forstner bit to drill the hole part way on the inside rail, then chisel a flat for the T nut. Bolt covers on the foot board posts. 3 years and this bed is rock solid.View attachment 13398

Thanks for the pic, that does ease my concerns a little bit, your covers look to be about as high as mine would be and they look just fine.

Rockler used to sell something like this, but it doesn't look like it anymore. Installed correctly, these are very, very, sturdy. In fact, I had a devil of a time taking them apart a couple times.

(Woodcraft) Mortised bed rail fasteners

I have seen those, got some tips on those. They said I should make the mortises those sit in just a little deeper, that way it will definitely pull the pieces tight together. So I can move on with this project I am going to used a bed bolt or the fasteners kirk mentioned, since both are centered on the rail I can cut my footboard stretchers to the right size now.

What about this, just a thought for a clean hidden bed bolt. Its variation design idea from Jeff Miller's bed book.

I would use one (maybe two) of these in each post. z.jpg

Then thread an all thread rod into them.
Drill a hole in the end face of the rail for the rod to go through.
In the side of the rail I would take a forstner bit and drill a hole to the desired depth.
Square the hole where the rod enters (making a D shpae) and put a nut on the end of the rod and tighten.

Whatcha think, work, not work, won't tighten. I think others have done something similar and it would make for a very clean connection.