Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Audio-visual adventure.

Audio-visual adventure.

Been awhile since I posted anything new... 'Course, working part time at this, it has been awhile since I've been able to finish anything. Got lots of stuff started, though, and they all reside in the "Museum of Unfinished Projects." Neat place. If you get a chance, definitely check it out.

This one started as a trade show goof-off, made a walnut and cocobolo arch using only -- you guessed it -- a bandsaw. It was basically two posts of walnut, interlocked with a crossing piece that used wedge keys to hold the joints in place. The keys were left proud and notched to receive and hold the cocobolo arch. My donated chunk of cocobolo was stolen overnite and that's all that remains of it. You can see it here in the background on a table with some more trade show goof offs.

Like I said, that was just a jumping off point. Since we don't have cable or watch much TV I wanted something that would prove a meditative presence without having to hide the TV or components, but rather make them part of the design, not just in the design. I chose lumber which was harvested locally by a mill near Austin. They weren't sure anyone would want that much in the way of spalted planks from the same tree for furniture parts and they made me a very reasonable deal to take them off their hands. That was the pecan. The mesquite on the other hand was not what I would call reasonable (about the cost of good cherry,) except that any planks over 6' long are apparently rare. "Well then, let me have them, too," I said.

Even though it was kiln dried, I let the timbers acclimate for three months before I so much as looked at them again. I wanted the many flaws to finish going where they were going. As for the spalting... I did my best to deal with it, and more than a few times pieces would just fall apart in my hands or break in half while cutting. These incidences were all forks in the road that I kept choosing and following merrily along. And keeping in form, like most of my sketches, the project took on a life of its own and ended up designing itself and allowing the cheap laborer to figure out how to put it all together.

Adhesive of choice was epoxy, exept for the background bookmatch (good old Titebond III for that one.) I also used epoxy with tint and wood flour to fill flaws and voids, and thinned epoxy to soak into the most vunerable and punky spots in an attempt to stabilize certain areas. The finish was some streaky staining to enhance the existing flaws, mineral bands and evidence of bugs. Top coat was sprayed conversion varnish, sanded to satin.

One other bizarre fact -- my mesquite tree bottoms (used for the TV base, and two others for another project yet to come) needed to be tented to get rid of the termites who decided to poke their loving heads thru after cutting into their homes. I put the pieces in a sealed plastic bag with a cup of chlorine for a week. Haven't seen them since, so hopefully it worked.

For those who decide it is worth looking at the slideshow you will see the lock miter involved in putting the posts together, some long slider work with my parallel jig, some shaper work, extension tables on my already big jointer, and as always, some tantalizing bandsaw work.

http://s115.photobucket.com/albums/n...g/TV%20Shrine/

If not here's some pics of the completed piece, daylight and nightlight versions.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AVCenterDay.jpg 
Views:	115 
Size:	100.8 KB 
ID:	13351

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	AVCenterNite.jpg 
Views:	83 
Size:	102.1 KB 
ID:	13352

Questions, comments encouraged...

Mini Max Tool Acquisition Mediator.
    "An old man to most kids and a young man to those who are dead."

www.samantics2.com

rob durfos Guest

audio visual center

absolutely gorgeous !

Hi Sam.

Absolutely stunning! it honours its name, and it does convey the idea.
    ( Although I do not worship TV)

There is only one thing that disturbs me a bit. the small square piece below the TV support.

BTW I've tried to watch the slideshow and can only see the thumbnails, any clue what is wrong with my PC?

I want to look closely and learn more,m then I'll come back with more comments, if I'm able to watch it.

Thanks for posting
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Excellent work as always, Sam. Absolutely beautiful.

Ya know, I'd think with all the nice tools you've got, you wouldn't have such a hard time keeping things square. Tod Evans seems to have the same problem.

Toni, are you clicking on the view as slideshow link on Sam's Photobucket page?
    When the going gets weird, the weird turn pro. - Hunter S. Thompson
    When the weird get going, they start their own forum. - Vaughn McMillan

workingwoods.com

Quote Originally Posted by Vaughn McMillan View Post
    Excellent work as always, Sam. Absolutely beautiful.

Toni, are you clicking on the view as slideshow link on Sam's Photobucket page?
    Hi Vaughn, yes I am, and the slideshow starts but images don't show up, only the small icon with the red "X". I've tried to right click on them and choose the "show image" option but it doesn't work, most problably it has to do with some configuration problem but I do not know which.

Any clue from any of the PC gurus around??
    Best regards,
    Toni

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ _________________
    web site:http://www.toniciuraneta.com
    I also dream of a shop with north light where my hands can be busy, my soul rest and my mind wander...

Sam, that is really an amazing piece, and then the WIP pics really show the craftsmanship.

My lovely wife just had a look at it, and she said "WOW!!!"

Thanks for sharing that!

Toni, check and see if the "Java Scripts" are enabled on your browser........

Rob Durfos, Welcome to the Family!

Now tell us a story about that BIG log and dog in you avatar!
    The pessimist complains about the wind; the optimist expects it to change; the realist adjusts the sails.
    William Arthur Ward

Sam

Fantastic design and work! Thanks for taking the time to take all the pics, the slide show is great.

Jay

Very very cool and unusual piece - fantastic!
    Host of the 2017 Family Woodworking Gathering - Sunken Wood

“We all die. The goal isn't to live forever; the goal is to create something that will.” - Chuck Palahniuk
    www.wrworkshop.com

that`s weird sam.......but i like it.....and that`s with me not being a tv person.
    [SIZE="1"] associated with several importers and manufacturers.[/SIZE]

rob durfos Guest
    the log is deodar cedar that we used for wall peneling and chest lining.as for shadow, she's one of my four 'log dogs'