Planer gauge for repeatability

Jeff Horton

I saw this tip linked in another forum.

Planer gage While I am not a big fan of dial indicators in woodworking this is nice application I think. A bit overkill but it is simple to build.

While I would have to try it and see how it actually worked, if I could mount it with a couple of strong magnets and it wouldn't move, this could be sweet!

I find that I am often having to plan a little more wood and this would be quicker than just trial and error.

Before I went digital, I had a long-travel dial indicator mounted on my old 4-post planer. It took care of all thicknesses up to 2" for $20 + some time figuring out a mount. (Grizzly G9809) I don't have a pic, but it mounted to the table and had a contact point that fastened to the base. That way, it read higher as the table was lowered. Worked fine until I forgot to remove it to run some stuff on edge that was over 2" -- kill one indicator...
-JR

John, what I had in mind was just being able to repeat a setting. Not so much measure the thickness. I had this happen just recently. I milled the lumber and then had needed one more piece that same thickness. I can do it but I have to sneak up it and it takes time. Just zeroing it out and leaving it till I am done with that project appeals to me. Then put it back in the case till my next bigger job.

I’m working on one for my Woodmaster as we speak. I’m using an older 2” travel indicator and I’m incorporating a fine adjustment but it’s basically the same idea.
The indicator I’m using is industrial grade with ruby bearings. I wonder how the cheap Chinese (HF) units would stand up to the vibration. :dunno: