The quest ends!

Jeff Horton

I have been on a quest for two machines for some time now. A mortiser and Oscillating Spindle sander. I fond the mortiser several months ago and was waiting for Arn Fest where I had arranged to have it Ruckered (delivered) south.

My next quest machine was the Oscillating Spindle sander. The really good ones are pricey and don't come up for sale that often. One at a good price and in good shape don't stay for sale long. Out of the blue someone saw a post of mine on one of the forums, still not sure which one, and said he had one that needed restoring and offered it to me. One of those deals you couldn't say no too. It was in Detroit and it took some doing but I finally found someone that could Rucker it to Arn Fest.

A buddy of mine brought them back to Chickamagua GA where I went to pick them up yesterday.

101_0739.JPG

A mortiser is a very old Wysong and Miles foot operated mortiser. It was originally a Line Shaft machine and has been converted over to an electric motor. It's a decent conversion and usable as is.

The other one is the Mystery OSS I asked about before. Now that I have it in my possession I think this was not a woodworking machine. Looks like it might be metal working but I am thinking lapidary work. It says on the label Jewel Grinder. It has a stone instead of a sanding disk and has a collect to mount the stone. From what I have seen that is unusual for an OSS. Good thing is I can install a lot of different sanding drums on it and it should work fine for Wood. The oscillating motion is driven by a separate little gear motor.

The OSS needs attention. The mortiser can be used as is. I would really like to tear it down, clean, lube and paint but not sure what I am going to do. It's hard for me not to tear it down and make it pretty. :dunno:

A guy I know from SE Michigan woodworkers did some drywall work for me. He had an old heavy OSS in his truck the day he was here. Shortly after he offered it to whoever wanted it. Had he offered that day, I probably would have taken it, just so I could restore it. I bet it is the same one.

Edit: Here is the description from when he gave it away:
2. VERY heavy orbital spindle sander, made by Motor City Machine Co. This is unlike any you've likely encountered - probably weighs about 250-300 pounds. Cast-iron base, homemade mobile base. This could be a really cool tool with some work.

Sounds like the same one to me. Small world.

Last edited:
It's got to be the same one. Description fits too. I have searched and searched and I can't find single reference to Motor City Machines at all. Or anything close to this. I am almost certain it was not a wood working machine. But I can't find anything similar yet in any other field either.

Jeff - How high off the ground is that pedal, looks kinda tall in the picture.

It is a little tall but it's not knee high either. I have been under the weather, but I did play with it a little yesterday and it not uncomfortable high. But I wouldn't want to do an 8 hour shift on it either!!

Very cool Jeff. I can't wait to see the restorations! (And then the work that they do!)
Wes

Still taking it easy today, but I think I am going to try to fire up that sander latter. Just to see if the motor runs and if it needs work.

I really didn't have plans to tear down the mortiser. But I keep looking at it and while it's not to shabby, I keep thinking how good it could look. Plus if I tear it down and go over everything now, it means less hassles down the road when I need it. So I guess I am going to do a restoration on both of them. :dunno: Must be something in my DNA.