Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New lathe thread scioned from the old

New lathe thread scioned from the old

Forgive me, folks, but I didn't want to hijack Jay's thread. On page three, Bart said this:

"I know a professional turner who's lathe is a chunk of concrete oh about 1000 lbs or more with pillow blocks fastened to the top & I think a 2 HP motor turning I think a 1 1/4" shaft. He turns stuff one wouldn't dare put on a light duty lathe.
    He probably has $200 or a little more in it."

Hmmmm...

As you may remember, I had a project to slow down my big lathe, which I had to abandon when I couldn't find a motor with a 4 1/4" 5/8" spindle. But...

I did do a fair amount of research on VFDs and 3 phase motors. Now, say I left the big lathe as is, and looked at the problem in a wholly different way. Say I wasn't worried about a tailstock? What's actually in a lathe? A motor, two pulleys, a threaded spindle with a bearing, and a face plate. And a way to keep an adjustable toolrest rock steady... Am I missing something?

Do you see where I'm going here? It's a little crazy, but it's not the craziest idea I've ever had...

Thanks,

Bill

oh, this one looks like a good'un. No opinion here, but should be fun!
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    What's actually in a lathe? A motor, two pulleys, a threaded spindle with a bearing, and a face plate. And a way to keep an adjustable toolrest rock steady... Am I missing something?

Do you see where I'm going here? It's a little crazy, but it's not the craziest idea I've ever had...
    I do see where your going.....and I want to see more!

A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website
    My Blog- Fine Curlies

Quote Originally Posted by Jeff Bower View Post
    I do see where your going.....and I want to see more!

Hey Jeff, think the popcorn will get to him eventually?
    -Ned

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Lantry View Post
    Forgive me, folks, but I didn't want to hijack Jay's thread. On page three, Bart said this:

I did do a fair amount of research on VFDs and 3 phase motors. Now, say I left the big lathe as is, and looked at the problem in a wholly different way. Say I wasn't worried about a tailstock? What's actually in a lathe? A motor, two pulleys, a threaded spindle with a bearing, and a face plate. And a way to keep an adjustable toolrest rock steady... Am I missing something?

Thanks,

Bill
    Isn't that what a Stubby is?

bill, i have a friend who built a lathe for turning outdoors...doing stumps
    he used 2" shaft set in pillow blocks driven by a 125cc dirt bike....the gearing was easy for him to figgure out, just change sprockets....i think he spent around 150 bucks getting the shaft machined?......wrecked dirt bikes usually still run and folks like to get rid of `em for pennies on the dollar after they crash.
    yup it`s doable!
    associated with several importers and manufacturers.

well, we learn something new every day. For example, today I learned what pillow blocks are. I had no idea... I thought they were some kind of concrete block!

For those of you who have never seen them, try this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/QTY-4-NEW-1-inch...QQcmdZViewItem

But what to attach them to? It would have to be cast iron, I'd bet...

Thanks,

Bill

a few bags of quickcrete and some anchor bolts and you`re pretty stable....
    or an old piece of "i"beam.......even a flattened section of phone pole...
    use your immagination.

[edit] try these;
    http://cgi.ebay.com/2-NEW-DODGE-2-7-...QQcmdZViewItem
    Last edited by tod evans; 10-11-2007 at 02:54 PM. Reason: add link
    associated with several importers and manufacturers.

Bill my lathe is homemade, by my grandpa, and it has 2 pillow blocks that are attached to a weld up of angle iron. Works well. I've seen others that used inline blocks attached to hardwood. I will take some close up pics today and post them.
    A man is rich in proportion to the number of things he can afford to let alone. -Henry David Thoreau
    My Website
    My Blog- Fine Curlies

Bill, there's something like this, but I've seen one much larger that was contructed out of wood using pillow blocks. Unfortunately, I've not been able to locate the link for it.